Third Party Press

Deals still exist

mb44kar

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853070792

I found this last night before it was bought, after looking back over our most recent thread on bnz45's. I don't know Steyr as well as other manufacturers and I was looking up details on it and making dinner when it sold.
The pictures are kind of poor and incomplete, so buying is always a risk. But it could have been a nice deal even if only a bolt m/m. Stock also doesn't look doinked.

I won't lose sleep because Steyr isn't my forte but this is just to give some hope to the bnz lovers. Also I hope maybe this will help public perception of market values.

Edit: this rifle is also only 47 rifles away from morticianman's new bnz45, same letter block and everything.

To the extent shown, it looks good. The buyer is a dealer and will likely be relisting the bnz at a new price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853070792

I found this last night before it was bought, after looking back over our most recent thread on bnz45's. I don't know Steyr as well as other manufacturers and I was looking up details on it and making dinner when it sold.
The pictures are kind of poor and incomplete, so buying is always a risk. But it could have been a nice deal even if only a bolt m/m. Stock also doesn't look doinked.

I won't lose sleep because Steyr isn't my forte but this is just to give some hope to the bnz lovers. Also I hope maybe this will help public perception of market values.

Edit: this rifle is also only 47 rifles away from morticianman's new bnz45, same letter block and everything.
I noticed that before I even read your full post, that is was only a few numbers away. Looks like it was a good snag for the price, stock is interesting without the traditional Steyr shallow bolt cut. Only other thing I noticed was the m/m handgaurd. Another deal will come along and you'll score big, just got to be persistent.

Edit: I'd venture to say it's probably a matching bolt, or at least it's a late war steyr judging by the shroud. At least it looks rough to me on my phone screen

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To the extent shown, it looks good. The buyer is a dealer and will likely be relisting the bnz at a new price.

It causes me some irritation to see these jobbers and dealers doing this, then invariably exploiting the free information we provide here to carnival bark and mark stuff way up to "reward" our free exchange of information with each other by profiteering. :googlie I think if it has a matching bolt that was a great deal.

It causes me some irritation to see these jobbers and dealers doing this, then invariably exploiting the free information we provide here to carnival bark and mark stuff way up to "reward" our free exchange of information with each other by profiteering. :googlie I think if it has a matching bolt that was a great deal.

I hear you Ham. It irks me too but what can you do other than call them out when found?

And yeah we 'know' the buyer. Clinton, MS the town where rifles go to get MINT, CORRECT, UNALTERED and MUESUM QUALITY. Guaranteed this turns back up with a new look, a big bullshitty story and a much higher price tag.

While that is a laminated handguard on a scrub walnut stock, chances are that is the original handguard to the rifle and not a replacement. That seller could have advertised that rifle much better. I haven't used the search terms "K98" or "Mauser" in a while because my time is usually too limited to sort through 2,000 items. If it is a bolt mismatch it is a decent deal for the money, just based on parts value (late Steyr hood, Kriegs Steyr stock, late magazine assembly, etc.). If it has a matching bolt then it will probably be flipped for $2,000 or more. Note that the seller's photos include a counter and a register. This seller probably bought this rifle for $200-300 and is perfectly happy to take his profit and move on. No reason to feel bad for him. Like I said, it will likely show back up on Southern-Surplus' list of items offered on GB in the near future with better and more complete photos. We may see the bolt yet.

I was thinking the HG was original too but couldn't verify.

Also was afraid the buyer was a dealer and really wish I had jumped on it now - even if only to sell it a few months later on our trader for the same price (after appreciating it myself). That's one way to save some of these I guess but the ethics are questionable and I don't want to play games with the ATF.

I will try to get pictures of this auction later tonight after work so it is properly documented and won't disappear - as per Hambone's usual good advice :thumbsup:

While that is a laminated handguard on a scrub walnut stock, chances are that is the original handguard to the rifle and not a replacement. That seller could have advertised that rifle much better. I haven't used the search terms "K98" or "Mauser" in a while because my time is usually too limited to sort through 2,000 items. If it is a bolt mismatch it is a decent deal for the money, just based on parts value (late Steyr hood, Kriegs Steyr stock, late magazine assembly, etc.). If it has a matching bolt then it will probably be flipped for $2,000 or more. Note that the seller's photos include a counter and a register. This seller probably bought this rifle for $200-300 and is perfectly happy to take his profit and move on. No reason to feel bad for him. Like I said, it will likely show back up on Southern-Surplus' list of items offered on GB in the near future with better and more complete photos. We may see the bolt yet.
Very well could the original, just pointed it out since it wasn't all too noticeable besides n one or two pictures. I'm sure we'll see it back up for sale in the upcoming weeks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My problem is parasites and humpers who use our site to glom free information to use against us. The purpose of the site is for us to advance our hobby interests for knowledge and enjoyment, not benefit some shitehead who sits around trolling auctions to carnival bark and resell. There probably is a way to take out the trash, but it's labor intensive and I'm busy.

...Also was afraid the buyer was a dealer and really wish I had jumped on it now. ...That's one way to save some of these I guess but the ethics are questionable and I don't want to play games with the ATF.

I did just that recently on t block. I wanted it alright even though it had a few warts because it had quite a few unusual features. When I saw my competition was one of the Clinton, MS gang I actually went 3 bids higher than I'd planned just to stop it from washing back up all CORRECT.

No ethical or ATF issues with doing exactly what you described. Actually sounds quite ethical. The C&R is specifically for collectors, not as a money maker. They have a license for that too but there are plenty that are abusing the shite out of their C&R privilege.

Someone bought a stock and got a free action in it! Rifle looks 100% spot on, I would be very surprised if it was a bolt m/m, stranger things have happened though.

No ethical or ATF issues with doing exactly what you described. Actually sounds quite ethical. The C&R is specifically for collectors, not as a money maker. They have a license for that too but there are plenty that are abusing the shite out of their C&R privilege.

Unfortunately I've no C&R license yet, doesn't make sense to have one in my current situation. But I'll keep this approval in mind. I meant unethical/unfair to the large percentage of honest private buyers on GB whose selection pool I'd be artificially shrinking to (eventually) give to people I know better. But I understand both sides, it certainly is better than letting 90% of good things like this go to dealers.

Yup! Hopefully this one doesn’t end up on eBay in pieces like his last one

In pieces? Okay, I guess I'll be buying the next surprise I see like this...

Here are pics of the auction.

Attachments

• overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 47
  • details.jpg
    details.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 30
  • bidder.png
    bidder.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 29
And the pics of the actual gun.