Third Party Press

1934 Mauser

Darrel1

I'm posting some pictures of a 1934 banner Mauser I acquired and I just started doing some research. This is my first time posting pictures on a forum so don't be too harsh I did a little studying and I think I did ok. So any help identifying the history would be great. This finish is very dark black it had to be refurb some where and has shellac on the stock. Enjoy the pics lol.
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
No expert either but looks like a Russian Capture mixmaster or some other capture rifle. The serial number on the butt was applied recently by the looks of it and it seems to me that a number was removed from the butt to the rear of and perpendicular to the serial stamped in the wood. Russian or Yugo capture serial numbers were not the same as the original actions serial number. The stock is an early Oberndorf as it is WaA63 but on a '34 rifle should have Weimar eagles not swastika eagles if the stock were original to the rifle.

That is what I was thinking that this this was a captured rifle or has been pieced together by a individual. I haven't found any capture markings though I figured there would be something that denotes a captured rifle. I forgot to take a picture the floor plate a and trigger guard which has a electro pencil forced matched serial with one strike through the original serial number. I'm still trying to figure out the history of this piece. The bore is excellent and I'm going to check the head space and firing pin protrusion and I should have a decent shooter for $300. I really don't want to touch the stock at all but wish to get rid of the shellac and hand rub tung oil on it. I guess some denatured alcohol would possibly rid the shellac, I know break part cleaner will do it fantastic but this isn't a mosin m44 I want a little more care taken with this rifle.

You might be surprised how nicely the stock cleans up and the original markings may be quite visible. Careful with getting the wood wet during finish removal as a lot of water may be absorbed by the wood and cartouches may become shallower. Should make a great shooter. The nice thing about rifles like it is you don't have to be nervous about altering them and ruining collector value as that ship has sailed.

Military Rifle Journal
Back