Third Party Press

2020 sos report

pwcosol

Returned from the SOS yesterday morning (just as a 36 hour (flu?) bug took hold of me...glad I got the vaccine inoculation last year!). Weather was pretty decent, so likely helped the event. This year's "theme" seemed to be a inordinate number of DSM, KKW, (along with 4mm & "BB" as well) & German civilian sporting .22 rifles being offered. However, when these rifles began to be a $2,500.-$3,000. proposition, escapes me! There were a decent number of S84/98 T3 and other German bayonets to be seen, but nothing really interesting popped up to my knowledge. RG34s were much scarcer than the numbers seen at the 2019 show.

My take was rather paltry, and I had the misfortune to come upon three tables with items I was interested in...only to discover two were in the process of being purchased by others. The third episode really hurt...a table with a Walther Meisterbusche (mit Olympiaschaft), Mauser ES350, and ES340...only to be told they were all sold! The Walther was very nice and seller said he sold it for $800. (a steal IMHO). My surmise is the same buyer acquired the lot. By Friday afternoon I ended up with four RG34s & two oilers, a minty "narrow-blade" behoerden S84/98 T3, a really strange pseudo S84/98, and mint Mauser ES340 heavy barrel .22 action with complete trigger/guard assembly (but neither bolt nor stock). Sneaking my way into the NGD for a few hours of Friday afternoon setup netted me a Underwood M1 carbine mag and a fancy Walther Mod 55 match air rifle (which will need at least the piston seal replaced to function).

Between last show and this one, don't think I will continue to attend any longer. The 3,200 mile round-trip drive, hotel costs, and fuel (still reasonable this year), stacked aginst what I ended up with each time, is just not a cost-effective effort. Silver lining was I brought four collectible items and all were sold, so at least there was that. BTW, one of the RG34s is a Appel 1937 WaA accepted kleinkaliber kit which is all correct and even has the proper bore brush...was most pleased to have gotten this one.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back