Third Party Press

Another mp40

deadeye18

Hello everyone,This is my other mp, it's in terrible condition but it's my favourite. My dad got this in the mid 1960s from a local veteran,dad was dating his daughter and spotted it rusting away in a coal bunker and persuaded him to sell it. Not long after my grandad heard full auto fire on the pit tip one day and went up there to have a look see and found my old man with his mates shooting a dustbin with it!He took it off him and had it de acted before he gave it back .It was missing its folding stock when he got it so dad put a replacement one on about 10yrs ago and added a sling.

Attachments

• 20160601_134848.jpg
    20160601_134848.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 2016-06-01 14.03.28.jpg
    2016-06-01 14.03.28.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160601_135113.jpg
    20160601_135113.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 62

Attachments

• 2016-06-01 14.02.54.jpg
    2016-06-01 14.02.54.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20160601_135232.jpg
    20160601_135232.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20160601_141144.jpg
    20160601_141144.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 41
And here I thought collectors in England only collected Sten sub guns. Guess I was wrong. At one time thought they only like Enfields too. :laugh:

Nice piece though wish this gun could still rock and roll again. I myself would love too own a working MP40 its my favorite sub gun.

And here I thought collectors in England only collected Sten sub guns. Guess I was wrong. At one time thought they only like Enfields too. :laugh:

Nice piece though wish this gun could still rock and roll again. I myself would love too own a working MP40 its my favorite sub gun.
Thanks warrior,I had a really nice early sten that was all matching and mint but I had to sell it to put towards dad's funeral costs. I'd love to be able to fire a 40 as it's my favourite smg too!

That's good stuff, great story on it too Deadeye :happy0180:

Cheers Hambone,I wish I'd known it's history from before my dad got it . England was overflowing with guns brought back after the war,Dad said 99% of houses in his neighbourhood had firearms and militaria of all kinds in them and the kids at his school would swap it in the schoolyard at break time . Dad was the local rogue so there's no wonder he loved growing up in the 50s and 60s!

Cheers Hambone,I wish I'd known it's history from before my dad got it . England was overflowing with guns brought back after the war,Dad said 99% of houses in his neighbourhood had firearms and militaria of all kinds in them and the kids at his school would swap it in the schoolyard at break time . Dad was the local rogue so there's no wonder he loved growing up in the 50s and 60s!

I would have enjoyed hanging out with your dad and his mates at the local pub :happy0180: An MP.40 would have been an easy thing to break down and practically fit in a shoe box. And what a cool trophy, though I'm sure Old Bill didn't appreciate them being around much.

His next door neighbour Mr lathenbery was a ww1 veteran who was wounded on the first day of the somme, The police were called out one night for a report of a "disturbance" at his house and when they turned up he threatened them with two. 455 webley pistols! It all amounted to nothing in the end but it shows there were some interesting characters around then!I have a handmade crucifix that he made from a bullet that he prayed to everyday.

That's good stuff Deadeye. I tended pub in Brixton in 1990. There was an old punter there, a veteran, who would speak to me of the war when he had a few in him. I would regularly "apologize" to the pensioners I liked for "too much head" on their pints and "freshen them up". This man had some truly great tales of the war that he said he never spoke of to his family. He fought from France to Dunkirk and back to France and Germany to the end, never wounded, never a scratch. He said his contribution to the war was that he was pretty sure he shot one German soldier, which he didn't feel particularly bad about to this day, but that he didn't go out of his way to shoot Germans and spent almost the entire war in holes, crawling on his belly, and never volunteering, which is how he said he avoided being wounded or killed like many of his mates. He said he never walked or ran anywhere if he could slither there on his belly ;) This was a great generation of people who are now sadly almost all gone.

The world will be a much poorer place without that generation!I used to like to listen to my grandad when I was a young man hearing about his ww2 service,he'd never talk about the war in front of kids or women and his huge scars always facinated me when I was a kid.

I remember the same thing with my Grandfather. He told me more about his time in the war when I was nine then his own kids when they were growing up. Maybe it was because I was young or maybe he knew his time was short. He was a good man. Fought hard at Guadalcanal in 42 and got wounded badly in the legs. When your 6ft 6 you don't hide behind cover real well. And a Japanese sniper peppered his legs for that reason. He told me the biggest fear he had during the war was when they took a position on the island of Guadalcanal. And haven't too hold till reinforcements arrived. Regardless of lack of food, ammo, or man power you could not withdraw.

He said one of best friends in his squad was an Native American. He told me they could never say his name right so everyone called him Joe. So the man's Nickname was Indian Joe. He said that man was one hell of scout and said maybe he just had an keen sense too know something was wrong or where danger was at. Joe saved my Grandfathers life after him getting wounded and he went home but the war never left him.

And too his dying day he never really cared much for the Japanese, rice, lamb, and snakes. I remember my grandmother told me she made him rice and lamb once and he threw it over the fence next too the barn.

Have too say I do miss him and when I shoot my Garand I think about him.

6 foot 6 is big now but he must have seemed HUGE back then!I'm not surprised that he wasn't fond of the Japanese though, one of my friends had a grandad that was a POW who was forced to work building the Burma railway and was tortured regularly, he wanted to murder everything that was Japanese till the day he died and wouldn't have anything jap produced in his house.

Military Rifle Journal
Back