Third Party Press

byf 43 accessories?

45Smashemflat

Just looking for recommendations to source a bayonet and sling for my Granddad’s byf 43 Mauser. I’d prefer to locate decent originals, but I really don’t know what I’m looking for. So, looking for education as well as sources.

Thanks!

Stealing information from @Hambone here, but:

“The bayonet serial numbers were unique to the bayonets and had nothing to do with the rifle serial. If you go to the Documents forum here you'll see many examples of German Soldbuchs (ID books showing equipment issued, etc.) which list the weapons issued to the German soldier. Bayonets ("seitengewehr") issued were ID'd by serial number, as were rifles, pistols, etc. The bayonet serials were, of course, also for production and assembly reasons and the bayonets match the scabbard nos. There are exceptions for "commercial" unserialed bayonets. Also, there is an exception for bayonets matched to rifles: The Mauser Oberndorf K98k contract for Portugal. Each rifle had a bayonet matched to it. So, any German WW2 period K98k bayonet would be technically correct for your rifle, though it would be nice to have a 1940 date maker.”

Regarding places to find one, our very own forum trader section here is a start. I’ve purchased a bayonet from Legacy Collectibles. I have confidence buying from those guys, they’re on the higher end of pricing, but I’ve never run into inaccurate claims with them.

Hambones observation are solid advice, type III are less prone to fraud than the 98k that they serve, but it is best in the long run to buy a more common maker-date with a matching bard than a rarer bayonet with a mismatched bard. Be picky and avoid rushing as bayonets are easlier to find deals on....

***it is easy to get obsessed with bayonets... there a great many variables.

Military Rifle Journal
Back