Third Party Press

dot 1943 mismatch

Here is a mismatch from my collection. Trying to be more active here on the forums! I bought this 98 a few years ago at a local gun shop for 400 dollars. Is she a perfect collector grade no haha. A quality shooter and display piece yes. A few things: The receiver is of course marked as dot 1943 #908 h block and the bolt matches this. The Stock and barrel bands on the other hand are all #marked 8409. The rear barrel band does not line up with other dot 98's I've seen. Any guesses on what manufacture they are off? I'll be comparing for fun just to see if i can narrow it down. The stock unfortunately been sanded and refinished.
The real oddity to this rifle for me is the trigger guard. (It has a hole????)
Also the floor plate #08 and #3308 seems to have in imperial like marking on it?
Looking forward to having some time to participate here!

Last edited:
The trigger guard is off a Gew98 as well. That hole is for the older quick-detach style rear sling swivels that you see on Gew88s and Gew98s . I believe it was a parade position for the sling.

The trigger guard is off a Gew98 as well. That hole is for the older quick-detach style rear sling swivels that you see on Gew88s and Gew98s . I believe it was a parade position for the sling.
Here, hastily googled but you can see what I'm talking about. The sling is attached to the trigger guard, not the sling swivel on the buttstock.

Rxfa8cU.jpeg

Edit: that's actually a really good photo for showing that sling arrangement on a Gew98. It also hows how the parade hook on the front handguard worked

Military Rifle Journal
Back