Third Party Press

DWM 1907 Gew98 receiver - reused by Danzig 1915

Absolut

Ugly and mismatching rifle I had to buy with others from an estate, but thought the re-use of a DWM 1907 made Gew98 receiver is neat and I would share it in here. The serial on the receiver, is this the original DWM serial, or did Danzig apply a new serial?

Attachments

• DanzigDWM_01.jpg
    DanzigDWM_01.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DanzigDWM_02.jpg
    DanzigDWM_02.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 53
I never tire of seeing these, they are pretty elusive and often in rough condition, - going from recollection but I think they often re-number the receiver and the receiver is the only original component (to it's original state), but I will double check my thoughts... it's been awhile since I added one of these. If you have the rifle handy and the time show the right receiver and the barrel code if possible, including the fireproofs.

Often these were re-acceptanced on the RR, which indicates a re-barrel, often C/D off towards the front of the receiver.

I agree, a very cool rifle to find. Off the top of my head I think I have only ever seen two before this.

Danzig did crude re-numbering in almost all cases, little effort to remove the old serial, often lined through (crudely) or if the old serial is weak, they counterstruck the new number and added a new FP (typically leaving remains of the original, if clearly defined they often lined through old one)

These seem to have been conducted much like sterngewehrs (Danzig style sterngewehrs) where they openly incorporated them into regular production, suffix ranges considerably. m-n-o seem the more common range, but strays earlier and later are known.

Almost all are well used and rarely in upper grades (if at all); MarkW was one of the first to study these, he reportedly has a database of his observations, his could probably reveal more of a pattern, combined with mine or alone (as he started long before I did)

- going from recollection but I think they often re-number the receiver and the receiver is the only original component (to it's original state), but I will double check my thoughts... .

Took me some time to pull it out again Paul ... attached pictures of the receiver proofs. Brushed down the receiver with a steel brush, can't do much wrong at that condition, otherwise nothing would be visible.

Attachments

• DanzigDWM_03.jpg
    DanzigDWM_03.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DanzigDWM_04.jpg
    DanzigDWM_04.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DanzigDWM_05.jpg
    DanzigDWM_05.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 24
Georg, Thanks for taking the time, - although not as spectacular as the Simson (P08) or M95 sniper (your ongoing conversation with Andy as interesting as the rifle!), this is just as fascinating in my book.

You can see the faint old serial on the receiver lined through, though the fireproof is very unclear, - while this rifle has been through a lot, it really is fairly typical of these, they are almost never in good condition, interestingly several are also bond drive rifles which indicate that these probably made it to the front line early and were captured in some number (enough to show up in US bond drives), I owned a CGH much like this one, though prettier, MauserBill reactivated it and although not a full matcher, it is pretty original.

This variation is one of the most interesting ones encountered during the war!

Military Rifle Journal
Back