Third Party Press

Everyone Learns (Maybe)!

Bootheal

Oh my, when the Admins find my multiple texts requesting help with confirmation emails, they are going to shake their heads and wonder who turns on my devices for me!

Looking for the confirmation email, I thought I looked in the spam folder…but lo and behold - there they were. Now, I’m officially registered. Great for me, probably not so great for the regulars around here. I can be fairly dense at times….regardless of taking my medication or not.

Inherited a Mouser. Not even sure of the caliber but suspect it’s 8mm. No information yet on how my dad came by it. I shot it probably 60 years ago. That would have been a good time to ask questions…..Starting to search for information about the rifle. Most I remember, it had a kick and wanted to raise up.

1st question: Reading on a few posts about a look-a-like called ‘Three Hole’ rifle. What is this?

Also, there’s a set of books on the Mouser that appear to be out of print. Is there a place to look for these?

Great reading on here and I hope to not become a PIA but need lots of support.

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Mike / S.E. MO

And as a newbie, for you to better understand moconfeds post , LSR is the abbreviated version of long side rail. This is a specific type of sniping system used by certain manufacturers.
BCD is the German secret code for the Gustloff factory, it will be found on the top of the receiver and the year will be below.

I do not have a rifle such as yours.

Thank you both for contributing to my quest to understand more about the German army armaments.

The rifle I have needs a very good cleaning. I am not going to take the gun apart, not even the bolt as I probably couldn’t get it back together correctly.

I do want to oil it well to check the rust. Clean the barrel inside and get someone to verify it actually is an 8mm caliber. Then, I want to go shoot and see if it’s as I remember.

Thanks again for your input.
Mike

This is the rust that needs stopping. Would it be better for the total rifle to dismantle and oil all the hidden parts? Or, find a competent person to do the work?

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos showing how to break down the rifle. Hate to break or damage any further.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 27
If you can find the time, post the best photos of the rifle in adequate light you can, of all the serialized parts. Make sure you have a good hollow ground screw driver bit that fits the screws properly. It’s not hard to do.
If you can post the photos after you take it apart all the better. Then we can best offer advice on how to proceed.
Never use steel wool or sand paper on anything. Light oil and brass/ bronze wool lightly and slowly will get the rust off.

The screws on each end of the magazine housing should have smaller locking screws. Those should come out first before the larger screws.

Would there be an exploded rifle view, similar to a parts diagram?

I will make an attempt to disassemble. There’s one screw missing or broken on the plate at the bottom of the magazine.

Where to look for parts? Screw and maybe a sling for a model year 44?

Threads on early rifles comment about how smooth the machining of barrel parts were. I don’t think a good machinist would brag on the finish of this one. Mill marks are very evident.

This is the rust that needs stopping. Would it be better for the total rifle to dismantle and oil all the hidden parts? Or, find a competent person to do the work?

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos showing how to break down the rifle. Hate to break or damage any further.
if you don’t have other firearms supplies, you can buy oily wipes @ your local gun/hardware store. I’d wipe the rust you can see, (NO STEEL WOOL !!!) but don’t pour oil over it. some of the rust will stick to the wipes, so turn them over constantly, as the rust can scratch the smooth steel.
there are several on the web, but a classic exploded drawing can be seen at gunpartscorp.com, you’ll have to go thru the menus to see it.

Take it apart and don’t be afraid. It’s only a rifle. Don’t over-think it. Start at the bottom and work your way forward. These rifles were designed to be taken apart in the field. Screw with the bolt last. It’s complicated.

Thought there was a screw broken off on the bottom plate below the magazine. Turns out, YouTube video says it’s a release to remove the plate.

Eventually, I would like to get a period sling and a few stripper clips for it. Doesn’t need to be vintage, just look similar to an original. Where to look? I’m still assuming it’s an 8mm. Will eventually get that confirmed.

Military Rifle Journal
Back