Third Party Press

G98 1906 WMO 1492k

The crowned letter is almost certainly an acceptance stamp. In the Imperial era, a small crowned letter was applied to almost every part, even the smallest pieces, even springs and small screws. If this is the case here, then it probably isn't unit marked, flipping the disc could lead to a unit marking but highly unlikely and generally if the acceptance is showing on an otherwise blank disc, most do not risk a flip as it is always a possibility to damage the surrounding wood.

It is a exceptional rifle, very tough to find this original, I wouldn't do anything to it, - including flipping the disc. At this point any effort to improve the rifle will be counterproductive, certainly harmful to value.

The crowned letter is almost certainly an acceptance stamp. In the Imperial era, a small crowned letter was applied to almost every part, even the smallest pieces, even springs and small screws. If this is the case here, then it probably isn't unit marked, flipping the disc could lead to a unit marking but highly unlikely and generally if the acceptance is showing on an otherwise blank disc, most do not risk a flip as it is always a possibility to damage the surrounding wood.

It is a exceptional rifle, very tough to find this original, I wouldn't do anything to it, - including flipping the disc. At this point any effort to improve the rifle will be counterproductive, certainly harmful to value.

Thanks Loewe. I figured that was an acceptance mark. I'll be leaving it as is for sure. I appreciate all your knowledge and positive feedback. Now Ill have to learn what all the markings mean.

Military Rifle Journal
Back