Third Party Press

Gew 88 question

Sr4440

Hi all,
Just acquired a GEW 88. Loewe 1891. Appears that the only numbers that match on the rifle are the barrel jacket and the receiver.
It's been to Turkey. (rear sight numerals) and bolt markings. Other than a missing ejector it appears complete and functional.
I have never seen picture of an 88 with a bent, swept back bolt. It appears factory. Possibility?
Thanks
Scott

Hi all,
Just acquired a GEW 88. Loewe 1891. Appears that the only numbers that match on the rifle are the barrel jacket and the receiver.
It's been to Turkey. (rear sight numerals) and bolt markings. Other than a missing ejector it appears complete and functional.
I have never seen picture of an 88 with a bent, swept back bolt. It appears factory. Possibility?
Thanks
Scott
Definitely sounds like a sporterization.

Gew 88 update.
Slugged the bore. .320, must be a replacement as the rifling is quite good. 8-8.5/10. Straightened the bolt handle.
Got the parts I needed, bolt head, ejector, and firing pin.
Shot it yesterday. I didn't put it on paper just shot at 1/2 gallon milk jugs at 50 yards. For 130 year old BB gun sights and 63 year old eyes it did pretty well.

Last edited:
Just because the rifling is good does not mean it is a replacement , I have many with good rifling and original barrels . What serial number is on the barrel , 2 or 4 digits and letter ? Who's proof ?

I never took the barrel jacket off...don't know..when I do I'll post it
Going to go put a few loads together and get it on paper.
Hopefully when I get a decent load it will also shoot well in the Kar 88

The Hornady .321 32 Win special bullets shoot very well in the original bore guns . With the right powder burn range many loads in the 2200 to 2500 fps range do well with those bullets .

I'm using the Hornady .321's. Tried a few different weights of IMR 4064.
Got up to 40 grs. About 2000 fps. it seemed to like the warmer loads better.
Shoots pretty darn good. If I had better eyes>>>
Still have a lot of tweaking to do before I find what it likes

Military Rifle Journal
Back