Third Party Press

Help please 660 1939 SS rune

AndyJ118

Hi all,

I am looking for some assistance as I am well out of my depth with specifics of K98's, I am in the UK and have been hunting for a K98 for a while to add to my WW2 collection. The one I have found seems very suspicious in every way really. Would someone mind telling me their informed thoughts on it? I am pretty certain the SS is a load of fakery as I've only seen BYF single rune rifles, plus its been struck about 4 times by the looks of it, but even the 660 Steyr seems odd from what I've managed to research. Every other 660 I have seen has the date as a 4 digit format not 2?

Any support would be appreciated, A to avoid buying a duff gun but also out of genuine interest in knowing more!

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• DSCF0127.JPG
    DSCF0127.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF0126.JPG
    DSCF0126.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture6.jpg
    Picture6.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture7.jpg
    Picture7.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture8.jpg
    Picture8.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture9.jpg
    Picture9.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 95
:ROFLMAO: Well I'm glad you've confirmed, I'd thought as much with 10 minutes of research on here before posting. Feel free to use the photo's for true fakery reference!

Hi Andy

Welcome to the Forum.

In the last couple of years, I've only seen two genuinely matching S.1 FAC K98ks on offer in the UK from perhaps 25 that have come up for sale and initially looked viable.

Depending on what you're looking for, there are a couple on offer at the moment from what seem to be reputable sellers, ranging from total mix-master with a good bore to decent Russian capture.

I'm no expert but as others here have said, this forum contains a wealth of knowledge and I have always found the many members in the US and around the world very generous with their time and good advice.

If you really want something top drawer it would be worth getting a copy of Karem & Steves Vol. IIa and IIb.

If I were looking to expand my collection at the higher end I would take a serious look at this forum trader and then look to import / export, but obviously you'll pay for that and I would expect the buyer to take all the risk if shipping something irreplaceable overseas. And some sellers might just not be interested at all.

Best

AG

Military Rifle Journal
Back