Third Party Press

K98 Markings Help

1Rdub

Hey All, I bought this k98 at an auction a few years back.I pulled it out of my safe a couple weeks
Back and began to take a closer look. I went on Reddit to find info and This lead me to this group which is really fantastic. I hope I can get some more info and direction. I really just want to know if this one is at all worth saving or if I should just start over. I have been told that the stock doesn’t match and that the barrel
Is not matching. Also, I have learned that there is sometimes weird with the sling mounts. At this point I am just looking for an original K98 to buy preferably matching. From What I have learned so far 1939-1943 but I could be wrong. In any case this one seems fairly solid but def needs am original safety I know for sure. Any further info on the markings etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0398.jpeg
    IMG_0398.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0360.jpeg
    IMG_0360.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 56
The front band is from an Argentine1909 and the lower band is from a Czech m98 not a k98. The barreled action is a k98 made by Mauser (byf) code in 1944. The stock is walnut
not correct for a 1944 gun should be laminate. Need a good clear closeup with better lighting of the action and bolt, floor plate and stock.

Last edited:
The front band is from an Argentine1909 and the lower band is from a Czech m98 not a k98. The barreled action is a k98 made by Mauser (byf) code in 1944. The stock is walnut
not correct for a 1944 gun should be laminate. Need a good clear closeup with better lighting of the action and bolt, floor plate and stock.

the front band is the correct style, but as noted, the ‘Frisian cap’ is one of the symbols used by the Argentines. the hand guard is from a rifle I don’t recognize, but I think the lower (sling) band is from a Vz24. Saving it? Depends on your goals & any attachment to the rifle. It may work out as a shooter, if your goal is pure collecting keep looking & perhaps sell this one to help finance a better example.
for a ‘44, the stock might be walnut, but cupped butt plate. The style of recoil lug is one used by the Czechs as a bolt take down device. would a byf 44 have had a CE 42 barrel? Odd things happened in the supply chain, but it lacks the ‘7.9’ mark on the shoulder, though the firing proof & serial number are placed normally. (often wind up out of position in a barrel replacement.)
also: the stock was used & modified by the Yugoslavs, notice how the last step in the barrel (towards the muzzle) ‘sticks out’ about 1/2” beyond the front band? When they(Yugoslavs) replaced barrels on K98s, they used ones that were 3/8”-1/2” shorter than the German barrels, and shortened the stocks to match. your rifle has an original length barrel, but the stock has been shortened at the front.

Last edited:
not correct for a 1944 gun should be laminate. Need a good clear closeup with better lighting of the action and bolt, floor 🍽️ and stock.

the front band is the correct style, but as noted, the ‘Frisian cap’ is one of the symbols used by the Argentines. the hand guard is from a rifle I don’t recognize, but I think the lower (sling) band is from a Vz24. Saving it? Depends on your goals & any attachment to the rifle. It may work out as a shooter, if your goal is pure collecting keep looking & perhaps sell this one to help finance a better example.
for a ‘44, the stock might be walnut, but cupped butt plate. The style of recoil lug is one used by the Czechs as a bolt take down device. would a byf 44 have had a CE 42 barrel? Odd things happened in the supply chain, but it lacks the ‘7.9’ mark on the shoulder, though the firing proof & serial number are placed normally. (often wind up out of position in a barrel replacement.)
also: the stock was used & modified by the Yugoslavs, notice how the last step in the barrel (towards the muzzle) ‘sticks out’ about 1/2” beyond the front band? When they(Yugoslavs) replaced barrels on K98s, they used ones that were 3/8”-1/2” shorter than the German barrels, and shortened the stocks to match. your rifle has an original length barrel, but the stock has been shortened at the front.
Learning so much and so grateful to you and everyone here. I’m happy to just shoot this one. It’s not really a matter of financing another I do want to buy one from the same. Preferably complete. Any idea on what one might expect to pay?

Military Rifle Journal
Back