Third Party Press

Looking at finally getting a K98.

jgtaylor85

New here, but I've lurked off/on for a bit checking out the site. I own some other surplus rifles, but I've kind of dragged my feet getting a k98 over the years. Figured it was finally time to take the plunge, and wanted to see if you guys had some recommendations on what to avoid, what to buy, etc. I've been told that a lot of the mitchell's stuff & Russian Captures are often force matched/sanded down pretty heavily, and that I may want to avoid those. I'm also familiar with m48's & that they are sometimes passed off as K98's. Although, the m48 looks like it would be a cool rifle to own as well. Also wanted to see what else I should be aware of.

I mostly just want a legitimate, pretty decent/good German produced K98. Preferably with the hooded front site - which I believe popped up in the late '30s?. Not too concerned which factory it came out of, but would it be more practical to look for a matching rifle, mostly matching, or mismatched?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is to start out with a lower-end example such as a partially matching or even a RC rifle and then go up from there to a mostly matching or a bolt mismatch. You've come to the right place as these guys will treat you right. Good luck and happy hunting.

New here, but I've lurked off/on for a bit checking out the site. I own some other surplus rifles, but I've kind of dragged my feet getting a k98 over the years. Figured it was finally time to take the plunge, and wanted to see if you guys had some recommendations on what to avoid, what to buy, etc. I've been told that a lot of the mitchell's stuff & Russian Captures are often force matched/sanded down pretty heavily, and that I may want to avoid those. I'm also familiar with m48's & that they are sometimes passed off as K98's. Although, the m48 looks like it would be a cool rifle to own as well. Also wanted to see what else I should be aware of.

I mostly just want a legitimate, pretty decent/good German produced K98. Preferably with the hooded front site - which I believe popped up in the late '30s?. Not too concerned which factory it came out of, but would it be more practical to look for a matching rifle, mostly matching, or mismatched?

Thanks in advance.
What’s your price range?

My advice is to start out with a lower-end example such as a partially matching or even a RC rifle and then go up from there to a mostly matching or a bolt mismatch. You've come to the right place as these guys will treat you right. Good luck and happy hunting.
This. The starter rifles tend to hold their value so they're a good way to learn and easy to roll forward into a better rifle down the road once you know the ropes.

This. The starter rifles tend to hold their value so they're a good way to learn and easy to roll forward into a better rifle down the road once you know the ropes.

Thanks - I was leaning toward a mismatch, but a full match would make me very happy. I don't intend to buy more than 1-2 at most - much like I did with the few other surplus rifles I have (m91's, m44, k31, etc.). Mostly try to get one for shooting, and one for collecting.

What’s your price range?

I have around $1500-$2000 on the high end.

Last edited:
Good thing ya stopped here before buying. Plenty of honest info and no BS. Buying here will get you and honest example. Great respect for this forum.

There is a very nice byf 45 in the trader section here.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Good thing ya stopped here before buying. Plenty of honest info and no BS. Buying here will get you and honest example. Great respect for this forum.

Yeah I figured it might be a good idea. Saw too many, at least what appeared to be forgeries for like $1,000 with polished bolts and sanded stocks, and waaay too nice bluing to be legit on GB.

Military Rifle Journal
Back