Third Party Press

Mint 98K. DOT 44

Steve1871

Forum Newbie
New here, first post

Non import marked, got from long time friend/collector/dealer near 30 years ago
The stock had strong coat of varnish or some clear coat on it. Did the German’s do that or some bubba in later years? Love the gun, but this clear finish question has always bothered me

Second, the maker code. DOT, just went through code list on a post on this forum, it not listed, yet have seen pics of several rifles for sale over the years with that code. I am confused??

Last, Was told by very long time bayonet collector, he never heard of DOT code for bayonet, yet, about an hour ago, found one, not a 98K bayonet, said to be Czeck m26, the DOT (42) stamp is on scabbard. Is it same DOT maker? Thank you guys for any help!

New here, first post

Non import marked, got from long time friend/collector/dealer near 30 years ago
The stock had strong coat of varnish or some clear coat on it. Did the German’s do that or some bubba in later years? Love the gun, but this clear finish question has always bothered me

Second, the maker code. DOT, just went through code list on a post on this forum, it not listed, yet have seen pics of several rifles for sale over the years with that code. I am confused??

Last, Was told by very long time bayonet collector, he never heard of DOT code for bayonet, yet, about an hour ago, found one, not a 98K bayonet, said to be Czeck m26, the DOT (42) stamp is on scabbard. Is it same DOT maker? Thank you guys for any help!

That sounds like bubba work to me, the Germans would finish the stocks but they would not be using varnish/clearcoat like you see people do with modern rifles.

Dot is the factory copde for Waffenwerke Brunn AG Werk I in Czechoslovakia. Brunn is absolutely present on the picture reference and the forum, seeing its one of the manufacturers for k98k's. You cannot however search only 3 characters on the forum, which is terrible since most maker codes are 3 characters long.

Dot did indeed make bayonets, they are reworked VZ24 bayonets. the Germans reworked lots of vz24 (and others) rifles and bayonets after seizing the country, and used up leftover stock until the factories were converted to making K98k's

Military Rifle Journal
Back