Third Party Press

My SVWmb Mauser

Back in December I picked up this "C Block" German/French 98.

Original sling, with matching serials on everything except under the front sight. It's a 993 number not matching mine however everything else I've found matches. I'd like to entertain the thought of this rifle being made early 1945, but never finished until the French takeover. All over the rifle are these ttt markings almost, curious if those are German Waffenamt byf135 marks or French markings. The stock appears to not be a "full" Kriegsmodell of any sort, any other history on these would be amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_9910.jpg
    IMG_9910.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0224 (1).jpg
    IMG_0224 (1).jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0225 (1).jpg
    IMG_0225 (1).jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Nice rifle. Could you post pics of the markings and the front sight?
What's with the lamp?
The only number that’s different is the 9993, the one below as well as the underside of the range markings and the slider both match. I was able to read that marking, looks like a 135 Waffenamt, is that pretty common to see on these rifles? They’re all over mine.

As for the lantern… that’s the only good photo of the entire rifle I have standing up, it’s the same age as the rifle. with me being a railroader, I thought it would be a nice photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 25
The e135 is Mauser Oberndorf, the manufacturer of the S42, 42, byf, svw, and svwMB coded rifles. Yours is built under French occupation.
Check out the picture reference section. It will show you more details.
Working for the railroad is a good occupation! I recently retired from the Carpenters Union.

The only number that’s different is the 9993, the one below as well as the underside of the range markings and the slider both match. I was able to read that marking, looks like a 135 Waffenamt, is that pretty common to see on these rifles? They’re all over mine.

As for the lantern… that’s the only good photo of the entire rifle I have standing up, it’s the same age as the rifle. with me being a railroader, I thought it would be a nice photo.
there may be yet another number on the rear sight ramp, looking closely @ pic 1 in post #3 above, between the screw & the ‘9993’ on the rear sight ramp. at particular times, the rifle sn was stamped on the part of the ramp that fits under the ledge on the rear sight base. I can see that there is a number on yours, might be 5 digits, but can’t quite make it out, looks different than “9993” marked just above it. you’d have to remove the sight ladder& spring in order to pull the ramp out, DON’T DO THAT UNLESS YOU WANT TO. I like to take stuff apart to clean & oil it. In this case a few non matching parts don’t detract much, as we believe it was post war French finished.

Military Rifle Journal
Back