Third Party Press

Mysterious mark

stuka12358

Evening every,

Found this mark on a friend’s newly acquired 1937 S147. Looks like a letter “S” inside a triangle. Have never seen something like this before. Looking for more info. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 4B5E9C2A-5996-4540-911D-35ECA60942A6.jpeg
    4B5E9C2A-5996-4540-911D-35ECA60942A6.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 63
What’s it doing on 36 Sauer, that’s interesting, have anymore pictures of the barrel and such?

Looks like rear sight base collar from the photo. I think Sauer did use components from other local Suhl area manufacturers. I know my 41 Sauer has a e/359 on the rear sight base collar, which places it from the nearby Zella-Mehlis area (Walther)

Yeah Sauer was a complete consortium maker, it’s just not the typical Walther sight base.

Yeah Sauer was a complete consortium maker, it’s just not the typical Walther sight base.
Yes, maybe the early time frame of 1936 makes a Simson sight base possible?

edit-sorry, just saw it was a 1937 rifle per OP.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input. Tried to take it apart but one of locking screws didn’t cooperate. I’m thinking maybe a drop of kroil will help?

Attachments

• CA7ECEAB-2FF5-4412-8DDE-C1550D91CAD2.jpeg
    CA7ECEAB-2FF5-4412-8DDE-C1550D91CAD2.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 66
Isn't the trade mark a sign that this rear sight base was made as a spare part? Like the "S/42" etc. on the Gew. 98 M? So wouldn't that mean that this base came to this rifle while being reworked??

Understood. Any recommendations?
I have several sets. Forster is one good brand. Those are fixed size screw drivers. Then I see the interchangeable bit types (Wheeler and such) gives a lot of different sizes and types of tips. Must be hollow ground, gunsmith specific. Tips must fit tightly in the screw slot.

Understood. Any recommendations?
I have this set, 2 in particular fit Mauser action screws
there are others. The important thing is that the tips are ground to fit the shape of the screw slot correctly. Gun screws have very narrow, deep slots relative to others kinds of fasteners, even if they “look the same” as generic hardware store fasteners. Thus, they require “special” screwdrivers…………

There is nothing magic about hollow ground hex bits. You can buy them for nothing. Certainly a standard driver doesn't cut it. I regrind the hex bits to fit those occasions. Just give a common 3/16 hollow ground hex bit for the capture screw and a 9/32 for the main a try before you spend a hundred bucks. A buggered screw is a buggered screw. Kroil will or any penetrating oil FOR DAYS can work, or not. The point is don't think you apply it and then go for it. My fav is Mistic Metal Mover.

When I used to be able to do gunsmith work I'd run into this screw problem a lot. A well fit driver, WD40 and a tap or two on the driver handle always "shocked" the threads loose for me.

Isn't the trade mark a sign that this rear sight base was made as a spare part? Like the "S/42" etc. on the Gew. 98 M? So wouldn't that mean that this base came to this rifle while being reworked??
I don't know enough about the parts supplied to Sauer in that time frame to say. In any case, more detailed photos of the whole rifle may answer if reworked.

Another thing; if you roach the capture screw it will be a dill-out affair. Google 'left hand drill bits' and how they are used for screw extraction. Perhaps the better option is don't mess with it. The advice about smacking the driver down is right on. That screw looks way too wide and is hurt in the left side so you may need to grind the tip of the 3/16 driver down until there is a good fit. You can also take a small punch and try and move some metal into the slot. Fortunately for you it's not the rear screw.

You said the small lock screw, not the action screw is frozen correct? The forward lock screw looks to be in a neutral position as it sits right now. The action screw can NORMALY be removed with the lock screw in that position. The notch should align with the hole for the main action screw as it sits. However, you can best decide if it still is impinging on the action screw, and caution is prudent. Here is a photo of lock screw in that position and its interface with the action screw hole....

Attachments

• Lock screw front neutral.JPG
    Lock screw front neutral.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 5

Military Rifle Journal
Back