Third Party Press

New to bayonets just a few questions

Rob0331

As the title states I'm new to this whole field. I was wondering what a correct bayonet for a kar 98a would be. Also where are some good places to find one. From what little research I've done I have found I know no where near enough to tell the difference between the $100 ones and the $1200. I'm more or less just wanting to find something that is period correct for the rifle. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I’d like an answer also . . . .

I think (always dangerous) the correct bayonet would have wooden grips and the steel flash guard.

I’ve mounted my “quill back” bayonet on my 98a, and thought it to be a mighty fragile mounting!

Can’t imagine they stood up well in a fight.

IMHO the bayonet you guys are looking for would be a typical S98/05 "Butcher-Blade". That being said, there are sub-variants such as the "Aa" (older pattern w/out flashguard, having the wide crossguard "ears" and leather scabbard with metal mounts), or "Na" (newer pattern with flashguard, small "ears" and steel scabbard). Now, add the letter "S" to the equation and this would be the same two variants, but with the sawback-blade. If one uses "abg" in reference to the latter, it would indicate the sawback was officially removed. Lastly, refurbished bayonets abound, and can either be of WW1 or Wiemar/early 3rd Reich period (the latter typically being blued).

If you have a straight, pre-1919 Kar98a, The most common variant would be the S98/05Na. Sawbacks are scarcer and more expensive, as are both the "Aa" patterns. The "abg"s are also becoming more collectible as well. Should your rifle be a Reichwehr reissue, then just about anything would do, but a blued "Na" might be best, and are not as expensive as others. Have attached three pics of my own S98/05s. In the first pic (lower end) are the two earlier variants (with the one at the very bottom a S98/02...the "fore-runner" to the '05). Above that and in pic# 2, are typical S98/05Na, NaS, & a NasAbg. In pic#3 are two Wiemar variants and a S98/05 Ersatz Sawback. Because of poor lighting, had to use the flash, and due to the angle there is a bit of distortion in the photos...

Attachments

• S9805Array1.JPG
    S9805Array1.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 28
  • S9805Array2.JPG
    S9805Array2.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 20
  • S9805Array3.JPG
    S9805Array3.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
For Kar98AZ with bayonet adapter moved to muzzle, is posible using only a bayonet with metal handle like ASG88/98 (Aushilfeseitengewehr=ersatz bayonet) or like mentioned S84/98nA or S98/05nA with flashguard used mostly in WW1. As the muzzle blast of carbine would damage older wooden griped bayonets wout flashguard on short carbine.b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back