Third Party Press

Opinions on this SS Dienstglas Scope Please

Hercules

Opinions please. I have my thoughts, but I wanted to hear what others think. The scope does not match mount. These are the only photos I have. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Removed photos, because I did not buy it.

Last edited:
I have very limited knowledge (due to the plain scarcity of these), but the scope is about 4,000 serial numbers off of the one I have (and just put up pics of).

Looking at mine in hand, the engraving on the tube is consistent, as is the stamping on the mount (though they are unrelated).

The only real difference I see is the actual skull on the elevation block seems to be different than mine, as far as I can see in the photos.

I haven't seen enough of these to know if there are variations.

Jeff

From serial number too early for Dienstglas. Turret on such an early one should be painted, the paint was stopped being applied much later. Even more, very early Ajack Dienstglasses do not have this late style engraving on turret. The engraving of scope number appears to be blued inside, whereas original Ajack Dienstglasses were engraved after blueing, so scope number is sort of "white". So, on the whole, personally I would refrain from acquiring this scope.

As for the mount, not unpromising, but not enough to give qualified opinion.

SS Dienstglass

Yes, I agree the serial is too early. The death head engraving looks off. The mount is an original HZW mount from what I could tell. The engraving on the tube could be post war.

Tube could be original SS, but probably a restoration job with the turret of a very early Ajack scope.

The engraving of scope number appears to be blued inside, whereas original Ajack Dienstglasses were engraved after blueing, so scope number is sort of "white"..

A lot of these scopes were used postwar on sported or hunting rifles..I have one I purchased that was missing the (2) lateral posts on the reticle and had been reblued..another one i have also has a reblue job on it , so that alone is not enough reason to throw the baby out with the bath water unless you are looking for an untouched specimen,but as you said...it has other issues that in totality merit a pass .

Military Rifle Journal
Back