Third Party Press

P38 pistol question

biggymu

After taking the lanyard loop on these pistols for granted all these years, it occurred to me I have never seen a lanyard for a P38 anywhere, not even in period pictures. How prevalent was their use? Why was it never phased out and simplified in late war examples?.

Wartime P38 lanyards can be had, usually in pretty much unused condition (and are very expensive for some reason). Plenty of fakes abound as well. Pictures of their use is pretty rare though (same with use on lugers). There are pictures, but again, it did not seem to be widespread and why they did not phase it out, I can't tell you.

I’ve wondered this myself, I’ve seen a few on the Lugers but can’t think of one on the P.38 - I saw one P.38 lanyard somewhere, I don’t recall, but they had five or six Benjamins on it if I recall correctly.

Pictures are out there, but again, few and far between. The original lanyard pictured below is in a private collection and yes, I have typically seen them for $500-700 over the last few years. It is an accessory I can do without. I carried a pistol for many years in the service and never used a lanyard.

Attachments

• P38 Lanyard.jpg
    P38 Lanyard.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 52
  • P_38 lanyard.jpg
    P_38 lanyard.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 51
One of the story’s I’ve heard/read. The lanyards for P38’s were a special order request from the troops stationed in Norway. Possibly related to mountaineering…

No solid proof, simply could be old lore too.

One of the story’s I’ve heard/read. The lanyards for P38’s were a special order request from the troops stationed in Norway. Possibly related to mountaineering…

No solid proof, simply could be old lore too.
Interesting, because most of the ones I've heard of and read about seemed to have come out of Norway. I'm sure there are exceptions to that, but it would not surprise me.

At least one reference indicates these lanyards were issued to Cavalry Troops. Have also read accounts that they were issued to "fast moving" units such as Aufklärungsabteilung or Kradschützen Truppen. An example from my collection is posted here:

Military Rifle Journal
Back