Third Party Press

Please help verify one1938 k98k

Hello guys, I'm very interested in an old k98k made in 1938, all matching numbers, the bore seems ok, the shop asked for $2500, not sure if it's real or not, and if it worth $2500. I have checked several post about this year model, did not find the flaws. Since I just started to collect C&R rifles, not very sure about the value of this K98K, any comments are welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• k98k1.jpg
    k98k1.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 131
  • k98k2.jpg
    k98k2.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 118
  • k98k3.jpg
    k98k3.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 120
  • k98k4.jpg
    k98k4.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 126
  • k98k5.jpg
    k98k5.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 125
  • k98k6.jpg
    k98k6.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 124
  • k98k7.jpg
    k98k7.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 119
  • k98k8.jpg
    k98k8.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 116
  • k98k9.jpg
    k98k9.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 113
  • k98k10.jpg
    k98k10.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 111
  • k98k20.jpg
    k98k20.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 115
  • k98k11.jpg
    k98k11.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 126
Your rifle is original and it was made by Berlin Lubeck Maschinenfabrik in 1938. But it is not Factory original. This rifle has passed through a Depot, and was reworked. The barrel has been replaced by the 0,2 proof. Plus looking at the very few pictures the barrel looks like it is dated 1941. Another thing I noticed there's only one proof stamp on the stock. I have a feeling this is an armourer's replacement stock set. You would need to get closer pictures showing the markings. We may be even able to identify the depot that did the work. If I were to guess the Depot Center that did the work by that stock proof stamp almost looks like a krakau stamp.

Now the price tag in my opinion is a little high just because of the delamination of the stock, and the few cracks present. But value on these is debatable. Plus there are many collectors out there that kind of turn their nose up at these. Because they're not Factory original, but been reworked at a Depot Center. To me and many others here that is what makes them in our opinion kind of special. These were combat carried weapons that saw service, and they have a little bit of a history to them. We find them very cool. By either the depot centers that did the work, or the parts used to repair them in the process.

Try to get some better pictures when you can all in all I think it's a very interesting rifle. And if this is your first k98k I think it would be a very good choice for your collection. This is far better than a Russian capture or even a bolt mismatch rifle.

Attachments

• 20220827_072947.jpg
    20220827_072947.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 53
Looks like a Wels gun to me.
That would be my second choice Clay lol. I'll be honest looking at the stock proof it looks like there's a second one next to it. There's a possibility this rifle could have passed through multiple Depot centers. But without better pictures we're just kind of fishing for answers.

But the number stamps do match the characteristics of wels though. The reason I considered it krakau was due to the size of the stock proof stamp. The wels stamp to me looks like it would be smaller, but it could be the way the picture was taken and the lighting present.

Attachments

• 20210313_112230.jpg
    20210313_112230.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210313_112153.jpg
    20210313_112153.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Pat
Your rifle is original and it was made by Berlin Lubeck Maschinenfabrik in 1938. But it is not Factory original. This rifle has passed through a Depot, and was reworked. The barrel has been replaced by the 0,2 proof. Plus looking at the very few pictures the barrel looks like it is dated 1941. Another thing I noticed there's only one proof stamp on the stock. I have a feeling this is an armourer's replacement stock set. You would need to get closer pictures showing the markings. We may be even able to identify the depot that did the work. If I were to guess the Depot Center that did the work by that stock proof stamp almost looks like a krakau stamp.

Now the price tag in my opinion is a little high just because of the delamination of the stock, and the few cracks present. But value on these is debatable. Plus there are many collectors out there that kind of turn their nose up at these. Because they're not Factory original, but been reworked at a Depot Center. To me and many others here that is what makes them in our opinion kind of special. These were combat carried weapons that saw service, and they have a little bit of a history to them. We find them very cool. By either the depot centers that did the work, or the parts used to repair them in the process.

Try to get some better pictures when you can all in all I think it's a very interesting rifle. And if this is your first k98k I think it would be a very good choice for your collection. This is far better than a Russian capture or even a bolt mismatch rifle.
Thanks, Bro, I will take more clear photos during my next visit, especially another side. there are three stamps on the other side, the shop owner told me that one stamp will be given for each repair.

But the number stamps do match the characteristics of wels though. The reason I considered it krakau was due to the size of the stock proof stamp. The wels stamp to me looks like it would be smaller, but it could be the way the picture was taken and the lighting present.
Late to the party on this one. The Roman numerals match for Wels, which was in Wehrkreis XVII.

Military Rifle Journal
Back