Third Party Press

Question about 71/84 firing pin

RoscoeTurner

With the bolt removed should you be able to see the end of the firing pin? Other bolt action rifles I own you can just see the end of the firing pin when looking at the face of the bolt but in the case of my 71/84 I cannot see it. Being not that familiar with 71/84s I do not know if this is the way it should be. I have disassembled the bolt and the firing pin matches the photos I have found. Just curious about this.

You could probably see it if you hit it with a flashlight while looking at it, but no there's no firing pin protrusion when the bolt is cocked. If you decock the bolt you'll see it, though.

You could probably see it if you hit it with a flashlight while looking at it, but no there's no firing pin protrusion when the bolt is cocked. If you decock the bolt you'll see it, though.

Thank you. I read a post on another forum about a fellow who bought a 71/84 that had a clipped firing pin, something I never thought to check, and rushed out to check the one I had recently purchased in a bit of a small panic. Was a bit concerned when I could not see the end of the firing pin forgetting these cocked on opening.

Thank you. I read a post on another forum about a fellow who bought a 71/84 that had a clipped firing pin, something I never thought to check, and rushed out to check the one I had recently purchased in a bit of a small panic. Was a bit concerned when I could not see the end of the firing pin forgetting these cocked on opening.
Pins are pretty easy to re-tip in the event they are clipped. No panic required. Just reach out to Don Schlickman or someone similar.

Military Rifle Journal
Back