Third Party Press

questions on my first Gew98m

jeepdad87

I just got a Gew98m from Gunbroker. I haven't received it yet, but I have a few questions.

It's sold as a Gew98 Spandau 1915 Stock possibly refinished.

The 4 pictures on the auction show a beautiful light colored stock (definitely refinished) with a takedown ferrule. And a 4 digit (I believe, cant tell exactly) number stamped perpendicular to bbl on stock between butt and ferrule.

Flat rear sight S/42. Blued receiver and bolt. Only markings on top of receiver is Crown, SPANDAU 1915. Only marking on side receiver... crown, 4 digit serial, and a star, and cursive letter.

No pics on the right side of gun. The stock has the same coloration as the 5500 dollar K98a that is being discussed today.

Is there a way to tell when I get the gun if it went to Spain for nationalists (markings, numbers etc.) Or whether it stayed with the Germans?

Last edited:
Have you the auction link? Difficult to go from such a description alone, but you do see a good number of Spanish used G98's at auction, most are pretty obvious (shortened, terribly blued and refinished), if not altered (shortened) or refinished, it is probably alright, even if it went to the Nationalists, not all were molested by the importer.

But yes, if you provide pictures when you get it we should be able to inform you regarding its past to a degree, and its relative value today.

The Spanish used rifles that got imported often had an 8MM stamp on the barrel near the upper band, or sometimes on the receiver. Otherwise, they would be unmarked by the importer. They are most often mismatched as well.

I guess I cant link to auction page since its over. I post pics when I get it. The stock is nearly the same color as the $5500 k98a on another post.

I wanted a WW1 gew98 and was having a hard time finding one so I reluctantly jumped on this, I was leery of the stock being in such nice, apparently refinished shape.

I had some offers of Turks which I didn't want. I'm hoping to get more info from this board once the gun is in hand. Thanks guys!

You should be able to post an auction that has ended, but a refinished stock, with light color is very often Spanish used, or refinished

Military Rifle Journal
Back