Third Party Press

Seeking Clarification on Early Production Rg34s

pwcosol

Was discussing Rg34s w/a fellow collector and a few questions resulted from our conversation...

1. Regarding HAWIG from 1935 to 1940:
a. Were the early year kit tins dated from 1935 onward (like Appel, Mundlos, KH/KY) or do they just display the HAWIG "house" icon and no date? What year did they start to date the tins? What about the oiler, RGK, & HKWs?

2. Regarding G APPEL marked Rg34s, typically the military contract examples are dated and WaA accepted. However, undated tin lids are also
observed with a WaA acceptance. Would this be a case of "behoerden" marked kits or components being diverted to fulfill military quotas?

3. Observation: My friend said he has owned two "64" marked kits with no WaA on the lid. However both had "G APPEL" marked lids, neither of which were WaA accepted, on the opposite side of the tin. (news to me!). He also mentioned confirming WaA325 acceptance extending into 1937 (from a G APPEL|1937 KK kit).

4. If anyone has a HAWIG or MUNDLOS first pattern HKW, would like to see a photo. If tool has been modified with addition of a pin, that is good, too!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi pwcosol, my thoughts about your questions:

1. Regarding the manufacture of HAWIG before the war, I have only observed cases marked with their "house" logo and no year of manufacture until the year 1940, when started to stamp it on the lid.
I'm the opinion, due to the observed RGK and HKWs, that HAWIG started the production in the early/mid 1936 year.
RGK, Oilers and HKWs are "HAWIG" marked (no year) with some variation on their stamping dies, until the introduction of the "cmr" letter code in 1941. Also, I have observed some early HAWIG kits with their HKWs and Oilers showing no markings, although upon close inspection can be confirmed that were manufactured by that firm.

2. I think that G. Appel, at first, was the leading supplier of Rg34s to the Wehrmacht but maintained also their commercial manufacture, so is very plausible that at some point some tins, with and without date, were diverted to fullfil their military contracts. Also the presence of many Rg34s without Waffenamt can be explained as commercial kits buyed personaly by officers. The kit with the extra 9mm brush could be a clear example.
G.Appel at some point of 1938 ceased to stamping the year.

3. There are "64" marked kits with the WaA stamped on the inwards of the lid.
There are also double stamped 64/G.APPEL kits, with the parts inside showing comercial markings. To me, these are commercial kits manufactured taking advantage of leftover -or rejected- military tin cases with the "64" number code engraved.

4. Personaly, I have not any early Mundlos HKW, so here maybe some advanced collector may add some light to your question.
Also, I have not seen any early HAWIG flat HKW witout the takedown pin.

Antoni

Antoni:

Thanks for your answers and observations to my questions. Since so few of the first manufactured kits are seen, it is always a pleasant surprise when one is found. My friend recently acquired the early HAWIG Rg34 pictured. It is admitted the kit came to him without a HKW and had a black phenolic oiler. He was fortunate to have a HAWIG marked HKW and steel oiler to complete the kit. RGK is WaA94 accepted but not HAWIG marked.

Attachments

• DSC00111[1].jpg
    DSC00111[1].jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00113[1].jpg
    DSC00113[1].jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00115[1].jpg
    DSC00115[1].jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00116[1].jpg
    DSC00116[1].jpg