Third Party Press

U.S. Army tests the "New Mauser Rifle"

More from the Boston Archives

The Army Ordnance examined the "New" Mauser rifle. I can only assume based on the pictures it's the Gew98.

The file is a lot larger but thought you might like to see some of the highlights.

Hope you all enjoy!

XgWfGQsl.jpg

wm7z1Cnl.jpg

r3ZiKrLl.jpg

1i0dQx2l.jpg

jNFMLV0l.jpg

cXQfXNWl.jpg

Puoj2mx.jpg

2Sj8sNo.jpg

R3DY9MT.jpg

Dn6AXF1.jpg

DoqSetWl.jpg

HJbQ3Vgl.jpg

7DUMD27l.jpg

Thanks for posting this Andrew..I figured it would be well-received here. Appreciate you digging this up!

Fantastic,

Thank you for sharing!

A couple of things to note. The rifle discussed in the first document is not a Gewehr 98, but more likely the export type 1904/1907, possibly a Chinese rifle, given the last document. HOWEVER, note that the guide rib noted in the document and in the pictures, as well as the broach cut for the firing pin into the bolt shroud being 90* from standard. To my knowledge Mauser never produced this type, will have to ask Jon about that.

When I have time I'll take a look at the SPAR collection photo's in my file and see what good candidates would have been available.

Andrew, I think we have emailed previously, but I can't remember, would be interested to discuss you looking for some documents for me, cost/etc. Send me a message with your email when you get a minute please.

thanks

Awesome papers, excellent quality captures. Thanks for sharing. As Fal Grunt points out, the rear sight was what caught my eye insofar as not being a Gewehr 98. Looking forward to what Fal Grunt finds!

Fantastic,

Thank you for sharing!

A couple of things to note. The rifle discussed in the first document is not a Gewehr 98, but more likely the export type 1904/1907, possibly a Chinese rifle, given the last document. HOWEVER, note that the guide rib noted in the document and in the pictures, as well as the broach cut for the firing pin into the bolt shroud being 90* from standard. To my knowledge Mauser never produced this type, will have to ask Jon about that.

When I have time I'll take a look at the SPAR collection photo's in my file and see what good candidates would have been available.

Andrew, I think we have emailed previously, but I can't remember, would be interested to discuss you looking for some documents for me, cost/etc. Send me a message with your email when you get a minute please.

thanks
The document dated 1902 and 1900. It couldn’t be Chinese rifle? China did exchange rifles for reference with officer attached to US legation to China but not until 1910.

Aaron

Military Rifle Journal
Back