Third Party Press

Understanding the German post site

I have a hinsoldt-wetzlar pre ww2 scope that is 4x. The site reticle is the german T post with a small dot in the middle. I am wondering if there is any know documentation on how to use the german post when shooting at different ranges? I will attach a picture of the reticle. Like for example is there any formulat to figure out how much of an area does the small dot cover at 100 yds, 200 yds etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603_101735_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20230603_101735_Reddit.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 43
I think that is a variation of Absehen 4. The distance between the middle dot and the thicker side should be a certain distance at 100m. Could be different for any maker though, so not fully sure on this.

It's one of the variants of T post, period correct it was encountered sometimes in scopes taken by the military from hunters in 40's. The dot works the same as the tip on the middle post in a normal T post. According to sniper manuals on 100m a space between side posts corresponds to one human chest or 50 cm.

With this reticle I would think this is a commercial scope and not military. But you'd have to show the overall scope to be able to tell you if you have a (former) military or commercial scope.

I doubt it's military scope, but sometimes reticles were changed post war. However that rifle and bolt look seriously mangled...
Those reticle #4 with dots I believe were for civilian target shooting in mind.

ranging.png

Yes, it can be commercial scope in military use as they were pressed into service because of contract scope shortages. Also here is an official list of reticles used by military:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231110_181136_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_181136_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 26
I doubt it's military scope, but sometimes reticles were changed post war. However that rifle and bolt look seriously mangled...
Those reticle #4 with dots I believe were for civilian target shooting in mind.

View attachment 369318
The scope I bought in e-bay and mounted on a yugo m48 bo. The original bolt on the yugo m48 doesn't bend as sharp as the 98k so I had them bend the bolt. That and drill and tap are the only gunsmithing I have done. At 100 yds I have gotten groups of 5touching within 1.5 in from each other.

Military Rifle Journal
Back