Third Party Press

Vietnam bringback K98k

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Brought this topic up a few months ago but this has got to be one of the nicest examples I have seen plus it has the paperwork to back the rifle up. To some its just a Russian capture rifle but it is a early code 1940 42 hard to tell where this rifle has been though. It didn't sell but its been relisted again. I still think its a neat piece though thought it would be something neat to share. Like I said most of the Vietnam bring-back rifles I come across are SKS rifles very seldom to I see K98k rifles with the papers come up for sale. This is probably the first piece I have seen.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=496368587

I have never seen a bring back paper like that from Vietnam. It does not appear to be a mitary form. I have a papered Chinese Tokarev pistol and a vet I know has a SKS with all the copies of his SKS paperwork. The forms I have seen are nothing like the one with that K98.

People Are Strange

I keep going back and forth looking at this auction and the Mitchell Mauser Mockery sold the day before on GB. This Vietnam vet has valid government paper work while the other has...crap. The guy paid 1200+ For the other RC looking rifle while this Vietnam rifle was available 24 hours later. Wish I was in a position to grab this Vietnem rifle up. Dont't understand why, if you had the money, you would pass on this historical piece at 2/3 the money and buy the other one. Keep hearing the Doors....People Are Strange

Not a U.S. military trophy form obviously, but it appears to be an original indigenous local form, that is period. . Note that the form indicates how much currency he is leaving country with.

Black Market was rife and some folks made a fortune / getting it out of country was the hard part / if you were military you converted your MPC [Military Pay Currency] into dollars prior to departing, and there were strict limits on how much you could convert, normally $500.00. Above that amount you had to appear before a board of officers and explain where the money came from.

Also note he is utilizing a passport, not a Military ID, and that means he is flying out on a commercial airline, processing through South VietNamese Customs.

Question is what was this guy doing and who was he working for ??????

He was not a "green suiter" Maybe a contractor or federal government civilian employee

Last edited:
I have never seen a bring back paper like that from Vietnam. It does not appear to be a mitary form. I have a papered Chinese Tokarev pistol and a vet I know has a SKS with all the copies of his SKS paperwork. The forms I have seen are nothing like the one with that K98.

It's a customs declaration, nothing like the WW2 war trophy form that required approval from your superiors.
Check this link for a real DD-603 bring back certificate issued in Vietnam.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...9286-paper-work-for-vietnam-bring-back-rifle/

I have a real DD603 with my Vietnam Tokarev pistol and the SKS my friend has several copies and export papers.

Obviously not a military person, so there would not be a military bring back form. I think much more likely a civilian contractor or Federal employee, or CIA, who knows.

It would be most interesting to know the guys history.

Totally different rules for them than for those of us poor bastards living the "good life" in the U.S. military at that time.

Some of the BARs brought out of Vietnam were actually Polish Browning Wz28s. Pistol grip and slightly different butt in the later productions.

Military Rifle Journal
Back