Third Party Press

What am I Missing Here...?

pwcosol

Gents:

Saw this a couple weeks back on Fleabay. I could not fathom what the appeal was on this bayonet for what it sold for. Was unable to bring up the bayonet under either closed or sold auctions afterwards, but a friend said today it was viewable and so here it is:

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-41-Dated-MATCHING-WW2-German-Mauser-K98-Bayonet-Scabbard-Carl-Eickhorn-/114631423601?hash=item1ab090b671%3Ag%3AukoAAOSwnudgANyZ&nma=true&si=070i3F3RWPwLGwLwq0H2Sjkinwc%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just ridiculous. It's not even that nice. A few fools (who seem real) fighting over it?

Well it's matching and it's Notzi! :googlie

But yeah that is just a stupid price tag don't forget about those auction processing fees for your money, sales tax, and shipping fees.

I looked at this bayonet back when it was first listed. I was so unimpressed that it did not make my watch list. I see nothing about it that would demand that kind of price. No rhyme or reason to the ways of ebay bidders.

There’s no arguing nice bayonets have gone up, bit for the condition that seems high.

There’s no arguing nice bayonets have gone up, bit for the condition that seems high.
I agree that bayonets have gone up and that uneducated, "Oh lookie, it`s a WWII German bayonet." buyers will drive those prices even higher. But, with a little knowledge,persistence and luck, nice bayonets can be found for a fair price. I lucked into a buy-it-now a few weeks ago, a 1940 Mundlos, matching, no sharpening, pommel/handle has most of blue although thin in spots,but the blade is maybe one of the nicest blades I own. The BIN price was well under $200, I offered $10 lower and seller accepted. I have not had time to take pics but, have a few crappy pics from ad that do not do this bayonet justice.

Attachments

• mundlos40a.jpg
    mundlos40a.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 22
  • mundlos40d.jpg
    mundlos40d.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
  • mundlos40g.jpg
    mundlos40g.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 34
  • mundlos40i.jpg
    mundlos40i.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 32
The only reason I believe someone would pay that amount of money for this bayonet would probably to fill a hole in a collection. Other than that I really don't understand why the bayonet sold for such a price. Who knows, that's a lot of money for a 41 cof though.

I agree that bayonets have gone up and that uneducated, "Oh lookie, it`s a WWII German bayonet." buyers will drive those prices even higher. But, with a little knowledge,persistence and luck, nice bayonets can be found for a fair price. I lucked into a buy-it-now a few weeks ago, a 1940 Mundlos, matching, no sharpening, pommel/handle has most of blue although thin in spots,but the blade is maybe one of the nicest blades I own. The BIN price was well under $200, I offered $10 lower and seller accepted. I have not had time to take pics but, have a few crappy pics from ad that do not do this bayonet justice.

That is a beautiful bayonet. Mundlos is one of my favorite makers.

i dont known why are so high priced 41cof. the Mundlos looks nice in good range, unfortunally no visible details, but it could be reblued.

Regarding the OP cof 41, my friend said the buyer has bought some other stuff and he believes there is something fishy about the whole auction...but then, we have all seen others that seem to defy logic as well.

Military Rifle Journal
Back