Third Party Press

What sling do I need?

jeepdad87

I will have a Gew98m soon. It has the loop in the rear buttstock swivel, so that I can't use the QD. I assume if I cut the loop off I will be able to use the QD in the swivel, but I'd rather leave it as it is if possible.

What repro sling is out there for me to use?

sorry can't help on the repro sling, but do recommend not putting junk on your collectable

I have two original Gew 88/98 slings, I picked up in the late 70"s at the forks. Both are similar to the 1960's west german G-1 leather slings, the end width needs to be reduced to fit inside the QD, same basket weave pattern and sling button. better than some cheap knock off plus its post war original

Now if it was me, I would be hunting for a original WW 1 Gew 88/98 far and wide and pay the bloody price, before I put a G-1 sling or a bloody repro sling on my rifle

I guess it would depend on the rifle and if it was used by another country besides Germany. To my knowledge, the added sling swivels are usually done by other users after German service, such as Spain for example. A sling from that country might be more "correct" if you want to keep the swivel as is.

sorry can't help on the repro sling, but do recommend not putting junk on your collectable

I have two original Gew 88/98 slings, I picked up in the late 70"s at the forks. Both are similar to the 1960's west german G-1 leather slings, the end width needs to be reduced to fit inside the QD, same basket weave pattern and sling button. better than some cheap knock off plus its post war original

Now if it was me, I would be hunting for a original WW 1 Gew 88/98 far and wide and pay the bloody price, before I put a G-1 sling or a bloody repro sling on my rifle
Any chance you could get in your time machine and grab me one of those slings you got back in the 70's?

I'm looking for a repro sling firstly cause I'm a cheap son of a gun, and secondly I want to take the gun out and shoot it, seen too many old vintage leather slings and such turn to crap and fall apart after 100 plus years. I have a mannequin that is representing a WW1 German , it has an original helmet, belt buckle and bayonet. The rest of the equipment is repro because of my budget.

I'm looking for a repro sling firstly cause I'm a cheap son of a gun, and secondly I want to take the gun out and shoot it, seen too many old vintage leather slings and such turn to crap and fall apart after 100 plus years.

I'm with you, dad. I also like to take my old military rifles out to shoot them and (oddly enough), I like to sling 'em over my shoulder when necessary. There's no way I'm going to subject an 80-year old sling to that, especially for what they're worth today. As a result, I like reproduction slings. The utility they offer is unbeatable for the money, and they take the pressure off my originals.

That said, have you tried the ebay guy -- "weiser215h", I think. He makes a few different styles, and might have the one you need.

Richie

thanks for the tip Richie. I'll look him up. I'm thinking now I'll cut off the sling loop and just get the QD sling. I did see a guy on ebay a couple days ago that makes repro slings but uses original hardware, maybe it's the same guy.

yep that was the guy who makes the slings himself using the original hardware. I just ordered one. Thanks Richie!

I'm with you, dad. I also like to take my old military rifles out to shoot them and (oddly enough), I like to sling 'em over my shoulder when necessary. There's no way I'm going to subject an 80-year old sling to that, especially for what they're worth today. As a result, I like reproduction slings. The utility they offer is unbeatable for the money, and they take the pressure off my originals.

That said, have you tried the ebay guy -- "weiser215h", I think. He makes a few different styles, and might have the one you need.

Richie

That ebay seller is welser215h, he does make decent slings for German rifles.

That ebay seller is welser215h, he does make decent slings for German rifles.

So it would seem Stan, they look pretty good in the pictures. Has anyone here bought one of his DSM or KKW slings? Each of my trainers could stand a good repop sling for everyday field use, and I'd be interested to know if they're durable.

Richie

Military Rifle Journal
Back