Third Party Press

Which would you choose (looking for best match for g29/40.

I have a choice between two bayonets and was hoping you could help me figure out which was the best match for my G 29 - 40 Mauser (if there even is a correct match), and the value if each (is one worth more or more desirable). The g29/40 and baayonets have different sources and doubt they were ever together to begin with.
1) the first one actually fits on the Mauser and I've been able to fit it and try it, the other bayonney I don't have in my possession (whichever one I don't take will go to my brother to likely sit in a closet forever).
It is in great condition (I think) and has a serial number with "c" underneath it, and 43asw on other side, and also has two waffen Mark's on the butt.
The sheath says "42 crs" which I have discovered is a paul weyersberg make.
The sheath and bayonet seemed mismatched? It is also possible that the sheaths may have been swapped with the one below at some point. I also have the frog and assume it goes with this bayonet but could have been switched.
2) will try to get better pictures more details. I believe they are matching numbers but need to verify and try to get maker mark. The info I have is both sheeth and bayonet have 44asw. This also has the scaled handle which I heard
May be a little rarer.
Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-070429_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-070429_Gallery.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200412-070426_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-070426_Gallery.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200412-070421_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-070421_Gallery.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20200412-070412_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-070412_Gallery.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200412-070404_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-070404_Gallery.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200412-070358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-070358_Gallery.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG9583771.jpg
    IMG9583771.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG9583761.jpg
    IMG9583761.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 17
I have a choice between two bayonets and was hoping you could help me figure out which was the best match for my G 29 - 40 Mauser (if there even is a correct match), and the value if each (is one worth more or more desirable). The g29/40 and baayonets have different sources and doubt they were ever together to begin with.
1) the first one actually fits on the Mauser and I've been able to fit it and try it, the other bayonney I don't have in my possession (whichever one I don't take will go to my brother to likely sit in a closet forever).
It is in great condition (I think) and has a serial number with "c" underneath it, and 43asw on other side, and also has two waffen Mark's on the butt.
The sheath says "42 crs" which I have discovered is a paul weyersberg make.
The sheath and bayonet seemed mismatched? It is also possible that the sheaths may have been swapped with the one below at some point. I also have the frog and assume it goes with this bayonet but could have been switched.
2) will try to get better pictures more details. I believe they are matching numbers but need to verify and try to get maker mark. The info I have is both sheeth and bayonet have 44asw. This also has the scaled handle which I heard
May be a little rarer.
Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Hi
Both would be correct.
There is no bayonet especialy for the K98k or the G98/40.
German forces used a few different bayos, also from occupied countrys as CSR, Poland or Yugoslavia.

The first one of yours is sharpened, and I would leave it where it is.
Check the second one, the 43 asw, if it has matching numbers on scabbard and knife.
If yes, it would be my choice, even if the screws are mounted in the wrong way.
Otherwise you should wait for better offers.
The frog is Italian for the Carcano bayonets.

Regards

Last edited:
From pictures i believe the 44asw is sharpened on blade, i wouldnt buy similar bayonet even matching, as the value is really decreased by sharpening of blade, the first bayonet is a 43asw with wrong assembled screws in grips, in 42crs scabbard which is too not proper rig. I would look for normal matching S84/98 , it could be a piece dated prior 1940, anyway any other dates are ok. b.r.Andy

Better pictures

Here are some better pictures of the second one. The numbers are in fact matching, but metal looks scraped a little different in the serial number section. There are no other Mark's. This was definitely sharpened post war. It does not mount on my g29/40 as it appears the clip is rusted in place (I have a little oil on it now to see of it frees up but doubt it).

The first one didnt appear sharpened to me because not sharp, but I do see where it was lightly sharpened.

More background, these were bring homes from grandfather so wouldnt think they have been touched modified since the war except the first one was sharpened post war, ouc (my father now is handing one the two to me but i get choice since I am more of a collector). Assuming the first one could have been sharpened during the war?

I am thinking save matching numbers like suggested even though in worse shape. Then maybe buy one like the first one (with correct sheeth). Does any info above change your opinion on which to take? Any info on the frog?

Looking at screws now and will report back if any questions - really appreciate both of your input!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-143958_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143958_Gallery.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200412-143952_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143952_Gallery.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200412-143948_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143948_Gallery.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20200412-143934_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143934_Gallery.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200412-143926_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143926_Gallery.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200412-143907_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143907_Gallery.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200412-143818_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143818_Gallery.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200412-143837_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-143837_Gallery.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Screws

From pictures i believe the 44asw is sharpened on blade, i wouldnt buy similar bayonet even matching, as the value is really decreased by sharpening of blade, the first bayonet is a 43asw with wrong assembled screws in grips, in 42crs scabbard which is too not proper rig. I would look for normal matching S84/98 , it could be a piece dated prior 1940, anyway any other dates are ok. b.r.Andy

Do the screws seems wrong or just in backwards? That seems odd to me (had to be taken apart at some point, likely during production or the war as I doubt my grandpa messed with it).

Is Your choice what You do as long years collector i wouldnt accept so heavy sharpened bayonet, but when link to Your grandfather so no problem there, the pommel should be stack into diesel or gunoil for a time and with wood hammer should be the press button /locking nut moved, the grips are ok here as i spoke about the first pictured bayonet with wooden grips there are wrong assembled screws.The frog is mentioned from italian Carcano bayonet, it could be so bringback by soldier, as the hole for scabbard hook is circular builded so mostly used with this bayonet since war?
Not any S84/98 were sharpened in war, it was forbidden, when the first one is too sharpened so postwar done.

Last edited:
Since mentioning your rifle is a G29/40, it is likely dated 1940. If you were looking for a bayonet that might have been either made or issued around the same time the rifle was, then perhaps a 1940 or earlier bayonet would be a better match. As for condition, you might consider a bayonet which is roughly commensurate (or shows a bit more usage), with that of the rifle.

Is Your choice what You do as long years collector i wouldnt accept so heavy sharpened bayonet, but when link to Your grandfather so no problem there, the pommel should be stack into diesel or gunoil for a time and with wood hammer should be the press button /locking nut moved, the grips are ok here as i spoke about the first pictured bayonet with wooden grips there are wrong assembled screws.The frog is mentioned from italian Carcano bayonet, it could be so bringback by soldier, as the hole for scabbard hook is circular builded so mostly used with this bayonet since war?
Not any S84/98 were sharpened in war, it was forbidden, when the first one is too sharpened so postwar done.

Terrific advice!!! I soaked in gun oil and was able to work it free and it now properly mounts to my g29/40 (this is the matching numbers one which I choose to keep).

The frog being Italian, sorry for confusion, but do you think it is correct match for one of the bayonets?

Also interesting to learn about sharpening, would think you would want that nice and sharp.

Appreciate you taking time to share your knowledge!

I went ahead and switched the handles on the mismatched one and found these marks inside.(just thought I would post in case someone else was interested - numbers sta ped under handle do not match the number on the blade). I have not taken the other one apart as it did not seem necessary.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200413-171601_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200413-171601_Gallery.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20200413-171607_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200413-171607_Gallery.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4
Since mentioning your rifle is a G29/40, it is likely dated 1940. If you were looking for a bayonet that might have been either made or issued around the same time the rifle was, then perhaps a 1940 or earlier bayonet would be a better match. As for condition, you might consider a bayonet which is roughly commensurate (or shows a bit more usage), with that of the rifle.
That makes perfect sense, i am keeping my eye out now and learning just by looking through the listings/ads (so many makers and variations, rivets etc). Will check back before I make a purchase but if have any suggestions let me know. For now money is tight so will prob not be for a few months or a year or so (wife got laid off from job due to the covid), will likely try to find something under $100.

Dissasembled 43asw, looks like there is assembly number of press button/locking nut,5736. Question about frog, where was stationed Your grandpa in Italy it could be bringback, anyway is not proper frog for a german S84/98 bayonet, as exist reworked italian frogs for using of german bayonet S84/98 with a italian carcano frog,but this frogs is not reworked in this manner. Bayonet is for stacking in to soldiers/enemy body not for cut, the edge is blur minimum 0,5-1mm thick, for cuting they had a combat and universal knives.

Last edited:
Dissasembled 43asw, looks like there is assembly number of press button/locking nut,5736. Question about frog, where was stationed Your grandpa in Italy it could be bringback, anyway is not proper frog for a german S84/98 bayonet, as exist reworked italian frogs for using with a italian carcano frog,but this frogs is not reworked in this manner. Bayonet is for stacking in to soldiers/enemy body not for cut, the edge is blur minimum 0,5-1mm thick, for cuting they had a combat and universal knives.

He was part of the 2nd armored division of hell on wheels, I know he was in Africa to start (story goes that he used to stand on the tanks to get pomegranates from the trees) and believe he covered most of europe thereafter.

From what I know from research only, the 2nd armored division went from Africa to Sicily/italy before going to
to France. That bayonet appears to be mistmatched in blade, sheeth and frog, and wonder if collected a few pieces on the way. So glad to be able to have a piece of history and something that belonged to my grandpa.

Dissasembled 43asw, looks like there is assembly number of press button/locking nut,5736. Question about frog, where was stationed Your grandpa in Italy it could be bringback, anyway is not proper frog for a german S84/98 bayonet, as exist reworked italian frogs for using with a italian carcano frog,but this frogs is not reworked in this manner. Bayonet is for stacking in to soldiers/enemy body not for cut, the edge is blur minimum 0,5-1mm thick, for cuting they had a combat and universal knives.

He was part of the 2nd armored division of hell on wheels, I know he was in Africa to start (story goes that he used to stand on the tanks to get pomegranates from the trees) and believe he covered most of europe thereafter.

From what I know from research only, the 2nd armored division went from Africa to Sicily/italy before going to
to France. That bayonet appears to be mistmacjed in blade, sheeth and from and wonder if collected a few pieces on the way. So glad to be able to have a piece of history and something that belonged to my grandpa.

Military Rifle Journal
Back