Third Party Press

Long Barrel Variant G/K43 in Photo?

gergnotwen

Rest In Peace
Stumbled across this one a while back and just noticed that the soldier on the right looks like he may be carrying a long barreled G/K43 variant. Tough to tell, anyone care to chime in?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-08 at 10.56.46 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-08-08 at 10.56.46 AM.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 152
It is one of the propaganda photos taken after Kampfgruppe Hansen's ambush of the 14th Cavalry Group near Poteau on 18 December 1944. Its an M1 Carbine, probably looted from the wrecked column.

Same two guys from a different angle, and the other M1 photos taken by the PK. From the helmet cover, neck wrap, and canteen position, the last photo appears to be of the same man again.

Attachments

• German M1 Poteau.jpg
    German M1 Poteau.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 58
  • germancarbine.gif
    germancarbine.gif
    48.2 KB · Views: 56
  • germancarbine2.gif
    germancarbine2.gif
    121.8 KB · Views: 62
It is one of the propaganda photos taken after Kampfgruppe Hansen's ambush of the 14th Cavalry Group near Poteau on 18 December 1944. Its an M1 Carbine, probably looted from the wrecked column.

Same two guys from a different angle, and the other M1 photos taken by the PK. From the helmet cover, neck wrap, and canteen position, the last photo appears to be of the same man again.

Very cool info, thanks! I wasn't sure if it was a screen cap out of a video or from stills!:thumbsup:

Yes the germans liked the carbine. You can find many pics of them in use especially from the sequence Ryan shows and other battle of the bulge pics

Here ya go, Gerg! This contribution is from the Aberdeen Museum when I got a back room tour in '92.
The first is a 7.62 Russian caliber G43 with long barrel. The 2nd is a regular 7.92 w/long barrel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• G43 in 7.62 Russian.jpg
    G43 in 7.62 Russian.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 107
  • G43.JPG
    G43.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 109
Here ya go, Gerg! This contribution is from the Aberdeen Museum when I got a back room tour in '92.
The first is a 7.62 Russian caliber G43 with long barrel. The 2nd is a regular 7.92 w/long barrel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow, that's really cool, I'd love to be able to go there but I'm pretty sure they don't do tours anymore. Any word on when their collection will be moved to its new home?

Fantastic pics - both of the M1 carbine being used and the behind the scenes at The Aberdeen Collection.

Thank you!

Pit.

That 7.62 with the big mag makes the Gew98 look like a karbiner..Jesus...wondr what the reasoning was behind that.

Wow, that's really cool, I'd love to be able to go there but I'm pretty sure they don't do tours anymore. Any word on when their collection will be moved to its new home?

Pretty sure the move is a done deal. Anybody know for sure? Here's a shot of their G40-k.
I sure wish I would have owned a good digital camera then. Oh, wait! I don't think they had digital cameras then.

attachment.php

Attachments

• G40-k.jpg
    G40-k.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 48
Yes the germans liked the carbine. You can find many pics of them in use especially from the sequence Ryan shows and other battle of the bulge pics

What was the reasoning for that...?

AM I to assume because it was so much lighter to carry, easier to wield in battle, and no bolt to work..?
Not to mention ,more ammo less weight & Bulk..?

Stumbled across this one a while back and just noticed that the soldier on the right looks like he may be carrying a long barreled G/K43 variant. Tough to tell, anyone care to chime in?

attachment.php

Famous still from a German weekly propaganda film / Early Battle of the Bulge, the gun is an M1 Carbine and is seen in later film footage on the same reel.

Hey, very cool Denny! That is one heck of a long pipe on the 7.62. Damn I'd like to get the behind the scenes tour there!

Military Rifle Journal
Back