Third Party Press

Noob with an RC k98

MudCamper

So I picked up my first Mauser rifle today. It's a Russian capture k98. Only the barrel and receiver match.

I wonder if anyone here can help me decipher the German markings on the receiver. It doesn't match any samples or guides I've found so far.

Large res pice here: http://paul.net/guns/k98/

Last pic is also of the side of the buttstock. Looks to me like old German markings still there under all the Russian lacquer.

Any info would be appreciated, but particularly who made the receiver and when? There is no big date stamp like I see on other k98s.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well I gather that the markings on the receiver are the "script" "ce", so it is a Sauer. But why is there no date stamped on it, and why is the number 3 stamped on top of the "ce"?

Picture004-small.jpg

You've got a Walther receiver assembled at J.P.Sauer.
The ruskies buffed the rec for some reason so the date is mostly gone. The 3 is a ruskie mark.
Sarge

The WaA 359 is the proof mark used only by Walther.
Walther made a variety of parts, mostly receivers and rear sight parts, for the K98k rifles and shipped them to several mfgr/assemblers.
Sarge

Markings were not always deeply stamped so it would not take much wear to remove parts of them. Actualy the missing/blurred markings on your rifle is most likely from wear rather than buffing.
Sarge

Military Rifle Journal
Back