Third Party Press

MP-44 Muzzle Thread Purpose, BFA?

Waffentag

I just picked up a strange MP 44 Barrel with BFA on Gun-broker after missing it from Hayes Otoupalik.

Any help with my questions is appreciated:

What was the muzzle threading for on the MP43/44 for?
Did the Germans make blank adapters and what did they look like?
Who made my BFA in the photos and when?

Thanks Pat,

PS, the barrel is another story, I thought that it had a welded up chamber, now, I am not so sure? I see rifling in the muzzle, but the barrel looks like a solid blank that never had a chamber cut?

Barrel Photos with an original for comparison attached,

Attachments

• MP44BFA1.jpg
    MP44BFA1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 37
  • MP44BFA2.jpg
    MP44BFA2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 40
  • MP44BFA3.jpg
    MP44BFA3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BBL1.jpg
    BBL1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 36
  • BBL2.jpg
    BBL2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
  • BBL3.jpg
    BBL3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 38
  • BBL5.jpg
    BBL5.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 33
  • BBL7.jpg
    BBL7.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 28
thread

The thread was for a Blank firing device...and there were plans to use them for a silencer but that never came to fruition.

Thanks

The thread was for a Blank firing device...and there were plans to use them for a silencer but that never came to fruition.

Thanks Jack, well, maybe someone can help me find out something about my BFA, I searched my references and I can not find a photo of an oriiginal or any like mine, whatever it is?

Pat

I believe that they are also there to protect the muzzle crown. MP38, MP40, MP44 and some G/K43 had them and when properly attached should extend ever so slightly past the crown of the barrel. I was watching that barrel as well. I suspect that it was just solidly welded up. I don't know first hand but I find it hard to believe that these would not have started as rifled blanks that were then turned down and chambered. I can't see them starting from solid and boring them out and rifling to where the chamber would be cut.

Original German WW2 BFA?

Thanks for the answers.

Is there any chance that my BFA is original German WW2 production?

Who is the MP44 expert who would know what period my BFA is from?

Thanks Pat

Attachments

• MP44BFA1.jpg
    MP44BFA1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 19
Are there any markings on the dummy bbl? Have you put a clg rod in to see how deep the bore is?
I'd think it totally unlikely that someone would have rifled a bbl that was not cut all the way thru which would make that a welded bbl.
I have seen one supposedly original 44 blank adapter in Germany. Never heard of another anywhere.
Your BFA is made in the US for a reenactor. Whoever did it marked it very much like I have marked some of mine - to include the ser nr of the weapon.
Sarge

Bfa

Thanks for information on the BFA. Now I know, I was thinking that it was post war Czech or East German?

On the bbl, a cleaning rod reaches almost all the way down, it seems to be just welded up. No markings that I can see. Perhaps, it can be saved?

Pat

Are there any markings on the dummy bbl? Have you put a clg rod in to see how deep the bore is?
I'd think it totally unlikely that someone would have rifled a bbl that was not cut all the way thru which would make that a welded bbl.
I have seen one supposedly original 44 blank adapter in Germany. Never heard of another anywhere.
Your BFA is made in the US for a reenactor. Whoever did it marked it very much like I have marked some of mine - to include the ser nr of the weapon.
Sarge

Military Rifle Journal
Back