Third Party Press

Vg2

Stana

Hi Guys,
What do you think about this VG2?
I have already got this nice piece.
This rifle was find on 5th May 1945 on one Bridge in North part of Moravia.
There was some Volksturm for guard two railway bridges, When Russian troops are very near, they let the weapons be and run away.
This VG2 was find by one teenager (Vather of the man who sold me it) and he has covered this rifle up today. More than 65 years. And condition is unbelievable.
Sorry for my English :biggrin1:
Stan from Czech republic

Attachments

• PB030021.JPG
    PB030021.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 242
  • PB030025.JPG
    PB030025.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 210
  • PB030029.JPG
    PB030029.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01584.JPG
    DSC01584.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC01594.JPG
    DSC01594.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC01590.JPG
    DSC01590.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01585.JPG
    DSC01585.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01593.JPG
    DSC01593.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC01588.JPG
    DSC01588.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
What is with the eagles on the barrel? They kinda look like Luftamt depot stamps.

The Luftwaffe turned over a bunch of by then obsolete 7,9x57mm MG barrels (I think the number was 50,000) for the VG programme; this barrel may have come from there. My VG2 does not show such markings.

Stana: You should report this one to Jan Balcar; he is tracking them.

Last edited:
Vg-2

Hi, WaPrüf2

I am going to contact Jan Balcar. I know him very well. Very honest man and expert
for P 38 and VG-2 as well.
Stana

Very nice piece, made partly in Protektorat and assembled there, with older MG17 barells, the piece is about 50 pcs from my friend piece, he has 4617A.best regards,Andy

Hard to believe that these are still out there.

What with the Nazis then the Soviets then the Czech commies it's hard to believe that anything survived. This is a truly fine find. The survival rate of these was next to zero. Doug

In Czechia is no so hard problem to find similar items, many of the items remained in depots there. The GIs probably not bring back this items.

Stana,
Very nice and thanks for posting. Needs to be a pic sticky for sure.
Cheers,
HB

Wow! that is great! nice one.

Imo it's certainly not an aesthetic piece, but I sure as Hell wish I had one in that condition! or any condition for that matter!

Congratulations on a rare find!

Thanks for sharing,
John M

Volkssturm VG2

Hello there everybody,

we have also this nice piece of History Volkssturm VG2 both from an old man that he found it in his old house :)

Attachments

• volkst 006.jpg
    volkst 006.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 80
  • volkst 010.jpg
    volkst 010.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2015-03-18 08.49.48.jpg
    2015-03-18 08.49.48.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 78
Lucka, it appears from the picture that yours was marked by the Soviets (Cyrillic characters of serial number). Is that true? Congratulations on a fascinating rifle!

Pat

Most probably used by Bulgarians or Sowjets postwar as instructage rifle, UCebnaja is there on reciever.
cyq was part of Sudetenland so probably in this period part of 3R.b.r.Andy

Stana:
The sling on yours looks like the one associated with these VG2s - have seen it on two other VG2s; they are marked ros over 44 on the free end. If the leather on yours is flexible enough to remove it please do so and photograph it in detail.
There is a postwar East German sling of similar construction but the rivets differ from the ros slings and the ros slings have one more hole than the East German slings. Take care; the leather used on these slings was evidently not high quality and can be brittle.

I have a question on one of the stamps shown on the barrel of this rifle, but don't want to take this off-track-

On picture 7/10 showing a close-up of the barrel, there is a Reichsadler on the far right (see what I did there? :laugh: ) and upside down in relation to the '42' stamp. The impression of this in the barrel is uniformly deep, and different than the varying height and depth impressions of typical firing proof eagles in K98k receivers. The details are indistinct, but it's clear what it is. I've seen this type of stamp before, but not very frequently. Would the differences be attributable to a stamp made by another contractor? Were the stamps made in-house?

Even taking wear and aging of the dies into account, the other impressions I've seen that match this were on flat surfaces, not curved like this one. Regardless, the impression is the same, and pretty distinctive.

Thanks,
Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back