Third Party Press

Geco, 1934 DSM 34

Here’s another DSM 34 that I have. It is a 1934 dated Geco, so very early. Note the stock subcontractor is Hanael just like the 34 dated Waffenstadt Suhl I posted.

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_rs_08.jpg

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_bbl_rec_sn_02.jpg

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_sling_07.jpg

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_sling_06.jpg

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_unitmarked_butt_01.jpg

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_unitmarked_take_down_disk_03.jpg

Geco_dsm_34_SN_1865_stock_markings_04.jpg

geco dsm

A freind of mine bought a geco dsm @ the amoskeag trainer selloff. Flat mint. It has a little different logo. It's stamped in and is smaller. "Geco" and its 34 dated. These are much harder to find than the second version Geco dsm. I'm sure Jim W. can lend info here as he has seen more variations than me.

A freind of mine bought a geco dsm @ the amoskeag trainer selloff. Flat mint. It has a little different logo. It's stamped in and is smaller. "Geco" and its 34 dated. These are much harder to find than the second version Geco dsm. I'm sure Jim W. can lend info here as he has seen more variations than me.

Yes, I have seen in pictures that the geco logo changed at some point. These pics are what I took when I got the rifle a few years ago. As you can see from the full shot it needed a wipe down. That "sell off" sounded like a real treat!

And this is another one!!!!!!!!

At least 4 different variations of Geco DSM made at more than one location.

This is the one I refer to in the post on the Mauser RF/SS post as being assembled (my opinion) by Sauer.

Have you removed the trigger and looked on the receiver flat underneath?

Also compare this variation with the Waffenstadt Suhl's as to serial number font, markings, proofs, etc.

Good Collecting!!!!!!!!

geco

Jim from what I can gather Geco was an outfitter in the import export buisness and never really made anthing?? Kinda Like AKAH. They had catalogs and sold other peoples products. Kinda like a third Reich carbellas. They were large enough to have lets say Sauer make rifles with their logo.. Like sears back in the day. I have seen Geco marked Barretta model 34 pistols anlong with other small caliber pistols. One thing I can figure out is the Geco marked k98 barrells?? Were they a legit barrel refinisher?? Food for thought..:)

Wayne, you are not correct in your assumptions about Geco. They were definitely not a III Reich Cabella, retailer only or whatever. I finished examining again my 1937 Geco catalog complete with company history and photos. They were a very large company that did sell others products, as well as their own that were made at their factories. Their factory in Spandau was a weapons factory at which they produced firearms, including the DSM 34. This is stated as such in their advertising in the catalog. Perhaps it was only rifles, as both Cate and Krause indicated that the Sauer factory records listed the shotguns produced for Geco. But no .22 rifles.Perhaps this is where the K98 barrels they produced the K98 barrels you mentioned.

By the way, Akah was similar to Geco in that they also made some of the products they sold, most significantly leather goods. Akah holsters were produced by them, for which they held patents on some designs like the Anuschat holster and the Reichsbank holster.

If Geco DSM 34s might contain parts from other makers, I would say that it was either production necessity or an attempt to satisfy NSDAP economists who believed in sharing contract/production among other industry firms. This is born out by documents published in the first Sauer book showing the Walther company approached the Sauer firm to produce slides for the RZM contract PPK. Sauer refused to do this work.

GECO DSM's

Yes Joe Geco had several locations where their trademark products were made. I have seen many of those old catalogs and prospectus you refer to. They also handled ALOT of products made by other firms including complete firearms and other hunting, sporting gear. And as in the case of Sears and Roebuck contracted other firms to produce products with their trademark on them.

No doubt they made the other variation of DSM at their own production base. That is a different variation. But the earlier variation as depicted here IMO was not. It clearly was made on the same line that the Waffenstadt Suhl was. Put them side by side, take them apart, compare.

To me this is a further indication that Sauer assembled these and the Waffen Stadht Suhl. Stock finish, markings, metal finish, font, the double S logo, all mirror those GECO logo'd but Sauer produced side by side shotguns.

Hard to set aside what we think we know and work outside the box. I struggle with that all the time.

Look at the guns, let them talk to you.

Without documents, I realize we will always have a hung jury on this.

Some amazing things have been discovered in the Suhl Archives, I have no doubts that significant efforts have been made there to view and extract information, I think it is very possible that more evidence may be there.
It is also possible (indeed likely) that there are alot of documents that were lost in the caos, particularly after we handed the area off to the Russians.

Last edited:
Question about slings:

Are there two types of trainer slings? One for the dsm34 like this, then another for the KKW?

Military Rifle Journal
Back