Third Party Press

MP44 receiver blocks

shortfal

Looks like I'll be having some receiver blocks for the MP44's before too long. New made from 4140 alloy.
Shipping blocks from the steel supplier to the CNC shop next week.
Pete

Sweet! Way to go. Don't forget to put me on the list when you get them done. :thumbsup:
Kevin

List

Sweet! Way to go. Don't forget to put me on the list when you get them done. :thumbsup:
Kevin

I'm not real good about lists, but I can put names down. I'll post when I get some. It'll be up to the CNC shop to machine those blocks as they need to be. I have confidence in the shop but having some in hand is what will make me happy.
Pete

receiver blocks

How are these coming along?

I should be getting trial run blocks done in 1018 steel in the next week. Figuring to do a receiver build using one and shoot it some with hot loads.
It'll prove the accuracy of the machining and satisfy my curiosity as regards whether 1018 steel would have been suitable for the blocks as opposed to the 4140 material the actual run of blocks are being made from.
Pete

Good news Pete. I was just thinking about these the other day and was going to ask. Thanks for the update.
Kevin

block update

Good news Pete. I was just thinking about these the other day and was going to ask. Thanks for the update.
Kevin

Recent comparisons of several original blocks and pieces of cut blocks shows that German precision was not so precision in their manufacture of those blocks and sheet metal. The original plan was to clone exactly a perfect original block. Good plan, BUT! There is enough variation found between receivers that if the barrel pin hole, the ejector holes and the divot drilled on each side of the rear are put in the new blocks users will have issues with the blocks possibly not matching their sheet metal. Rather than having builders trying to figure out how to "move" holes that may not match their sheet metal I think leaving them for drilling by users the smart thing to do. That drilling should be well within the skill set of anyone taking on the task of putting a rifle together from parts.
Pete

blocks

Is there a list to get on for these I would like 2-3 pcs

Shoot me an email
shortfalstl@msn.com

FWIW Recent contact with the CNC shop tells me a run of the 4140 alloy blocks should be done by the end of the year. They have their efforts concentrated on a multi gun building project at present.
The 1018 mild steel prototype block is holding up well in a semi I put together as an experiment.
Pete

blocks

Came across this thread and was curious if the new year brought any updates? Thanks for this post!

The shop doing them is taking longer than expected with a prior project. Pretty common in our gun world for things to take way longer than expected or hoped for. I'll for sure advise this site when they come available.
The rifle I built up around the mild steel prototype is still holding headspace after quite a bit of shooting. Interesting.
Pete

"the mild steel prototype is still holding headspace after quite a bit of shooting. Interesting."

Not surprising, I think people have a tendency to over emphasize the need for super high quality super strength steel here when something like 1018 will work just fine.

Military Rifle Journal
Back