Third Party Press

8 mm Carcano

That auction peddler mongers alot of turds. However, parts of this rifle look correct for a German HK modified Carcano. Sadly, bubba sanded and varnished the value out of the stock pimping it beyond my interest. Someone could conceivably swap stocks, which is what is going to happen. It's already past my pain level, particularly given the honked up stock and who knows what else. Make sure that you list all questions about everything you can possibly imagine to identify any defects, pimping, or turdification and email them to the seller and make sure you have written answers.

caddyshack.jpg

Finding another HK stock with recoil bolt will not be easy.
Based on the photos presented it appears to be correct save for the varnished stock.
I would ask for a closeup of the recoil bolt on the left side and the front end of the bolt just to be sure...

Last edited:
How can i tell

I am trying to learn... How do you guys tell that the stock is sanded. From the pictures I see a bunch of dings and dents on the stock and the numbers on the butT look fairly deep. The cartouche on the side of the stock does look very shallow though.

I requested the pictures mentioned below. As far as price goes what is the usual range? Again thanks for the help.

746f3c85.jpg

Finding another HK stock with recoil bolt will not be easy.
Based on the photos presented it appears to be correct save for the varnished stock.
I would ask for a closeup of the recoil bolt on the left side and the front end of the bolt just to be sure...

Last edited:
The cartouche isn't shallow, it's almost gone. The dings and prangs were just too deep for bubba to remove, even with the tub of elbow grease and steel wool he had to go through removing that cartouche. If bubba had sanded the prangs, numbers, and removed the cartouche completely, i.e., smoothed the stock, then it would have to be properly advertised as a scale model of an original stock, e.g. "carcano with 1/5 scale stock".

Yes, the stock should have the serial number stamped in bold numbers (the H prefix serial number) on the left side of the stock. I'd bet the stock is a replacement.

Thanks

Thanks guys, learning can get expensive without the help of others.

Yes, the stock should have the serial number stamped in bold numbers (the H prefix serial number) on the left side of the stock. I'd bet the stock is a replacement.

Not always, especially with the M38 conversion. The recoil bolt G looks OK as does the bolt face.

Last edited:
Not always, especially with the M38 conversion. The recoil bolt G looks OK as does the bolt face.

I would defer to waPrüf2 on this call- he's much more knowledgeable on these than anyone else I know! So, it sounds like it's correct- I'm more familiar with the other version.

Nice one Arch.

Guys, I dont know much about these conversions, but they are interesting.
I thought they had the reciever cut-out to allow feeding and ejection of the 8mm cartidge.

Also, is the maker of this carcano's recoil lug, the same maker that supplied recoil lugs to Gustloff in '45?

The single-shot Krieghoff conversions do not have the receiver cut out. I'm not sure about the civil-proofed early 5-shot Krieghoff conversions; haven't found one yet. When I get a chance I'll check the literature.

Richard Hobbs, The Carcano: Italy's military rifle (1996) indicates that the multi-shot civil-proofed HK conversions do have a cutout at the rear of the breech ring. This title is illustrated with drawings and is still in print.

Wolfgang Riepe, Il Novantuno Mannlicher-Carcano: das italienische Waffensystem Modell 1891 (2006) contains a long discussion of these and reproduces a number of contemporary German documents about them but I find no particulars for the multi-shot HK conversions. The book suffers from a lack of precisely reported and/or illustrated specimens of these particular conversions.

There may be some of these without recoil bolts. One of mine is stamped with the H-prefix rework SN on the left side of the stock and has the characteristic G-stamped recoil bolt put right through the SN, indicating it was added after the application of the rework SN and implying that the bolt was not there when the piece was first assembled. Manufacturer error or deliberate modification?

Military Rifle Journal
Back