Third Party Press

FG42 types - simplified by a simpleton.

pitfighter

Did a little reading -
As I have been immersed in the Fg42 story for some months now -
And was just curious, so ordered every book I could find on Amazon and Ebay on the series -
As books are just easier for me to concentrate on than the internet.

I am sure there will be other opinions, but this is what i took away.

The FG42 series.
(Originally called the LC-6 - Hitler named it the FG42)

The basic seven variants - (thought there were many more. These are the ones we are familiar with.)
Type A.
(one off model)

Type B.
( A proposal model)

Type C.
Milled receiver - two piece muzzle brake. two piece pressed metal pistol grip. Smooth welded aluminum buttstock - 3 tool-room rifles made.
(A toolroom model of the Type C was given by Goring to Hitler as a Christmas (’42) present - at which time he renamed it FG42. Ordering another 100, 000 made.)

Type D.
Milled receiver - new one piece muzzle brake. two piece pressed metal pistol grip. Smooth welded aluminum buttstock - beefed up internals. Test series of 50 rifles made.

The first production FG42 the Type (E)
*This is the model we all call the first model FG42.
Type E .
Milled receiver -
Early examples of the Type E retained the earlier D type (two pice stamped metal) trigger guard - The trials report had singled out the narrow trigger opening, and subsequent Type E’s were manufactured with wider opening the rolled sheet-metal triggergaurd.
The type E FG42 had a pressed sheet steel buttstock, ribbed with vertically stamped corrugations -
Although some early type E FG42’s may retain the flat welded aluminum buttstocks, too.
Roughly 2000 firearms produced.

*Now comes the second or later model that we are all familiar with.
Type F.
Pressed/stamped steel receiver - wood butt-stock, bipod hinged at front, not center.

The final production FG42 the Type (G.)
*Incidently no single component from the Type G will interchange with the Type E - not even the magazine.
Type G.
Pressed/stamped receiver - scope mount cuts, receiver matching, bolt lug machining - finish.
*If anyone else has differences between the F & G chime in.

Numbers of Type G produced.
gcy - produced approx 500 rifles.
fzs - Krieghoff produced approx 4,500 rifles (04456 highest known serial)
gal - may have produced some but numbers unknown.

On Manuals:
The designations of the various models are ignored completely by the three printed FG42 manuals -
The first two manuals pictures do not match the descriptions and , the second manual mixes pictures of the early and later FG42’s without explaining why.
The third manual for the Type G is the only one that has pictures of the type named on the cover.

On Kurz:
There were also at least two FG42’s produced in 7.92mm kurz - Louis Stange wanted the Fg in this caliber, but the Luftwaffe, wanted a long range capability - and that was a directive of the original design.
*A reference is made to being shot at from 600 meters in Crete - and the Kurz was considered unsatisfactory at returning fire at these ranges.

On the Early model Trigger guard -
Two of the period manuals show the two piece metal trigger guard - as a fact this is correct.
As a matter of course the manuals are incorrect (stated at least three times in the Collector grade Publication) as the trigger guard had been phased out by the time the second manual was printed.
Did the stamped trigger guard see action - potentially in Rhodes, as a batch of the initial 200 were pressed into service - later - very unlikely as they were updated and changed by the unit armourer or artificer.
The existing models slipped through the cracks - as many firearms in history have done.

Finished my reading wanting to read more about this system, and being even more fascinated by this rifle.

Last edited:
Exelent post ! The only thing is that i belive 7500 pc s FG42G is a to high number , i belive about 5000 is correct acording to most sorces.

I agree, you're correct, Dingo -

With the highest recorded Type G serial number the serial number 004456.
Which was with it's consecutive number likely still in the factory when it was picked up.
(Both are now in the Ministry of Defense Pattern Room in Nottingham in the UK.)
And 500 or so, made by LO Dietrich of Atltenburg - and the 2101 early model guns.
The total of both/all model types combined is guessed at about 7500.

Last edited:
Yes this is correct. I think the gcy marked rifle s use another scope mount than the other ones because they have a different top plate on the resiver. Not many survived the war.

Yes this is correct. I think the gcy marked rifle s use another scope mount than the other ones because they have a different top plate on the resiver. Not many survived the war.

Correct the gcy made G-type top-plate could only accept the "swallow-tail" mount.

Where the later and more standard Krieghoff G-type had dual cuts on the top of the receiver and could accept either the "swallow-tail" mount or the cast and machined steel mount.

*A few few very early G-types (00004 is illustrated) were fitted for two-ring mounts, and milled across where the manufacturers code would usually be.

Caveat Pit - The six or so G-types I have handled are all Krieghoff - so the above info. is coming from books only - and could be incorrect or circumspect.

Quote my66coupe: "Has the fg42 overcome your Sturmgewehr obsession?"
Temporarily.

Last edited:
Correct the gcy made G-type top-plate could only accept the "swallow-tail" mount.

Where the later and more standard Krieghoff G-type had dual cuts on the top of the receiver and could accept either the "swallow-tail" mount or the cast and machined steel mount.

*A few few very early G-types (00004 is illustrated) were fitted for two-ring mounts, and milled across where the manufacturers code would usually be.

Caveat Pit - The six or so G-types I have handled are all Krieghoff - so the above info. is coming from books only - and could be incorrect or circumspect.

Quote my66coupe: "Has the fg42 overcome your Sturmgewehr obsession?"

there is some good news :):)

Military Rifle Journal
Back