Third Party Press

original gew98 claw bases opinions wanted

mauser99

Here are two sets of double claw bases we discovered. I'd like and opinion on them weather they are military or not. Thanks

measurements....to start, both front and rear mounts measure the same. The groove width is 4mm the length is 11mm. spacing on the front mount measured to the outside edge of the grooves is 32mm. subtract the 4mm for the inside measurement. The rear base measures 11mm to the outside edge. do the same math for the inside measurement. Hope this helps.. I.D. the mounts further.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Looks correct

Here are two sets of double claw bases we discovered. I'd like and opinion on them weather they are military or not. Thanks

HI
In WW1 there was only 18421 Gewehr 98 snipers made.And it was not until 1918 that they started to issue one type. From 1914 to 1917 They were using just about any type of commercial German bases and rings plus commercial scopes from 2 3/4 to 4 power for most of them .
Yours look correct, I would ask Robert
If they are real starting on the top left to right. the 1st one is for the front base and for a double claw wide rings, The 2nd on the right is the same type for the front wide base double claw .
The 3 rd one on the bottom left is a narrow double claw as well as the one on the right is the same.
I am looking a set of double off set 26.5 mm rings narrow with the srews on top. Let me know if you have any or know I may find a set.
regards
Bob

mounts

thanks for the reply. Theses were installed rather badly on two g98's. They were not the typical claw mounts you find on made up snipers. Most have that criss-cross checkering that most all commercial mounts have. I thought that GR stamp was rather interesting.

Double claw bases

Hi
Not all the bases were checkered .A lot were issued like the type you have. What the GR means I do not know. Maybe some of the other members might.
Regards
Bob

HI
In WW1 there was only 18421 Gewehr 98 snipers made.And it was not until 1918 that they started to issue one type. From 1914 to 1917 They were using just about any type of commercial German bases and rings plus commercial scopes from 2 3/4 to 4 power for most of them .
Yours look correct.

Hello,
what MrHaney said, is mistakeable! NO 2 3/4 power and almost no 4x and 4.5x scopes were issued with these rings/bases.
Voigtlander 3x bases are similar, but look different.

You can use these bases to complete a Gerard B3x, OIGEE Luxor 3x, Hehle 3x, Hahn 3x, Hensoldt Dialyt 3x, Fuess 3x, Gerard "C" 4x and 4.5x

Goerz introduced a patent registered mount/base for their 3x and 4x military scopes in 1915/16.

@MrHaney: Where did you find a source concerning the number of Gew.98 sniper rifles produced during WWI?

Thanks
Wolfgang

Hello,
@MrHeney:
the scope on the left. Is this the pattern of rings you are looking for? Busch 2 3/4x! Very hard to find.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Attachments

• busch.jpg
    busch.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 69
scope

I'd say the scope in the middle may be the closest to fitting these bases..
I'm not sure. I'm just trying to get some info on them so When I sell them I'm representing them correctly.

Gewehr 98 sniper mounts and rings.

HI Mauser 99.
The scope in the middle is the type of rings I need in 26.5 mm with the narrow claws in in front and the back is a off set double claw in 26.5 mm.
my original Bush sniper scope is stamped.
EMIL BUSH A-G
RATHENOW
VISAP 2 3/4
GEWEHR NO 242
ff
I should have stated that they did use other powers of sniper scopes in 2 3/4, 4x and some in 6x.
The article that has the infortmation is go to Gewehr 98 Wikipedia on ASK.COM Gives the whole story on the Gewehr 98 rifle.
It states the total number of Gewehr 98 sniper rifles made was 18421..
My Gewehr sniper rifle has the Bush 2 3/4 scope on her. If I find the correct type of rings!!!
Regards
Bob

Type of rings wanted

Hi Mauser 99,
In the book OUT OF NOWHERE BY MARTIN PEGLER on page 93. it has the push button rear base release.
Just like mine except mine has a Bush 2 3/4 x scope. If i had the rings, in 26.5mm Front ring is a narrow type and the rear is a off set type ring in 26.5 mm
bob

Hello,

@MrHaney: I was misled because you asked for a "set of double off set rings".
OK, what you are looking for is a set of Busch rings, front in line, rear off set.
The scope on the left is a Busch with both rings off set to the left.

@mauser99: you are correct. The scope in the center (Hensoldt 3x) once was fitted to bases like yours. These are the most common rings/bases used during WWI. Regardless, to find a scope with rings that will fit with no or only little work is next to impossible. Rings and bases of this type were all hand fitted.
Do you have any information on the rifles these bases came from?

Thanks
Wolfgang

mounts

Amberg, sorry I have no info other than what I have listed. They were mounted rather badly on two gew98's and I removed them. I figured they were not commercial because of the plainess of them. I'm just looking to sell them and wanted to represent them correctly.

Hello,

@ Mr Haney:

please let me know the exact measurements of the bases on your rifle. I might have rings that fit, or can be made fit without ruining them.
What is the serial# of your rifle?

@ mauser99:

you can find this type of mount on almost all 3x scopes.
(Photo shows: Gerard/OIGEE/Voigtlaender)

Wolfgang

Attachments

• IMG_2214_2.jpg
    IMG_2214_2.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2216_2.jpg
    IMG_2216_2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2242_2.jpg
    IMG_2242_2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2213_2.jpg
    IMG_2213_2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2239_2.jpg
    IMG_2239_2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 39
Hello,
I don't want the Busch rings look like this one afterwards. :facepalm:
Wolfgang

Attachments

• DSC0396_2.jpg
    DSC0396_2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 26
Gewehr sniper rings

Hello,

@ Mr Haney:

please let me know the exact measurements of the bases on your rifle. I might have rings that fit, or can be made fit without ruining them.
What is the serial# of your rifle?

@ mauser99:

you can find this type of mount on almost all 3x scopes.
(Photo shows: Gerard/OIGEE/Voigtlaender)

Wolfgang
HELLO MR WOLFEGANG
WOULD YOU PLEASE EMAIL AT MY EMAIL SO I CAN SEND YOU A PICTURE OF MY RIFLE
mr_haney@att.net
Best Regards
Bob

Military Rifle Journal
Back