Third Party Press

World War 1 German Ausmarsch (?) Photo

Ghostrider5211

Hello,

I was digging through a tupperware bin at a militaria show today... looking for something completely different, and at the very bottom of the box was this photo in this frame. It immediately struck me as interesting and I got it for 30 bucks... considering I didn't even have that amount, buying anything at this show was dangerous for my marriage! lol! I know zip as to what it is supposed to be... but here is what little I have gathered...

This IS a photo of German soldier, taken during World War 1. He is wearing a covered pickelhaube and has a flashlight on the front of his uniform. His weapon is a Gewehr 98 with what appears to be an Ersatz bayonet attached to it. He has some flowers pinned to him. If you study the closeups I provided with this post, you can make out the regimental number on the shoulder boards. I'm guessing that this was taken mid-war...or even later in the war... not sure.

I have translated the German phrases around the photo. This is NOT a death card. I *think* it is called an "ausmarsch" photo? Again, know nothing about it. It apparently was a photo taken when the soldier was leaving for the war... I don't know if it was supposed to go with him, stay with his family, or what...

All help, any help is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what this item is as a whole, when it may have been taken given the equipment photographed, and perhaps someone can help make out a regiment number... I see 83... could be wrong. I really like this little thing. Sometimes it's not about the guns on my rack as it is the little photos and stuff I find every now and then.

Attachments

• DSCN1888.jpg
    DSCN1888.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1889.jpg
    DSCN1889.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1890.jpg
    DSCN1890.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1891.jpg
    DSCN1891.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1892.jpg
    DSCN1892.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1893.jpg
    DSCN1893.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1895.jpg
    DSCN1895.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1896.jpg
    DSCN1896.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1897.jpg
    DSCN1897.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 27
Looks like a British Oralux flashlight. Graves spoke fondly of his in "Goodbye to all that"

Military Rifle Journal
Back