Third Party Press

I just happened upon a g29o...

funkyjedi

Hello! I found this site while doing research on a gun that was given to me. I actually posted over in gun boards , but thought I would put it up here as well.

At first I thought it was a K98, but couldn't find a picture of it anywhere, but after posting @ gb, I was told it was a g29o. Rather than post all of the pics, I will just link the photobucket.

Let me know what you think.

thanks for looking
-funkyjedi

http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/funkyjedi/k98/

Yes, that is a 29O, made by Steyr for the Luftwaffe circa 1938-1939. A rare bird, and yours even has the proper sling and detachable sling swivel (which is missing from mine).

Your rifle needs a bit of tlc, but nothing other than a very light cleaning. Is your rifle missing the bayonet bar?

Congrats. Rare rifle.

Your rifle needs a bit of tlc, but nothing other than a very light cleaning. Is your rifle missing the bayonet bar?

It is missing the bayo bar. There looks to be a cap that is just gone from the front. No cleaning rod either. They guys on the gunboard insisted I NOT clean it. So, Its going to sit in the safe until I know more about it.

Thanks for checking it out.

The issue with cleaning it has more to do with your lack of experience and the potential to make it worse. I think just monitoring it and using a quality gun oil will do for now.

In the end it is your property though and you should do what you think is best, - just remember less is best and everything you do to the rifle, good or bad, will influence the sale price.

I posted on your Gunboards thread more details regarding the rifle. Glad you made it over here, as this is where most of the more knowledgeable collectors frequent, with a couple exceptions.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...given-what-I-think-is-a-98k.....&goto=newpost

It is missing the bayo bar. There looks to be a cap that is just gone from the front. No cleaning rod either. They guys on the gunboard insisted I NOT clean it. So, Its going to sit in the safe until I know more about it.

Thanks for checking it out.

The issue with cleaning it has more to do with your lack of experience and the potential to make it worse. I think just monitoring it and using a quality gun oil will do for now.

In the end it is your property though and you should do what you think is best, - just remember less is best and everything you do to the rifle, good or bad, will influence the sale price.

I posted on your Gunboards thread more details regarding the rifle. Glad you made it over here, as this is where most of the more knowledgeable collectors frequent, with a couple exceptions.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...given-what-I-think-is-a-98k.....&goto=newpost

I have never been a big forum user, well, here and there, so I don't know what protocol says about the same topic with the same person in two different websites, but I will answer here.

I completely understand not cleaning it with no experience. I am totally fine with that. I didn't know a k98 from a tree limb until a month ago when I was given this. I started doing the research and now my interest is peaked. Fundamentally though, I feel weird about this gun. My grandfather fought in France and Germany during WWII. He saw some very, very ugly things there. He never spoke of them until the last year of his life, and of his 60+ grandchildren/great grandchildren, he chose me to tell the stories to. My dad said he had never heard the stories until I relayed them to him. Holding a gun that was used against US soldiers (theoretically) creates mixed emotions. I understand collector’s items are collector’s items, but why the hullaballoo over Nazi equipment? I know it was a bring back as a "spoils of war" type souvenir, but the idea that I am researching and spending time reading about nazi guns leaves me feeling like I am somehow betraying the life of my grandfather..I don't know, and I understand this is a ramble, but it’s something that has stuck in my head since I was given this gun. I in no way associate or approve of the nazis. In fact, growing up in the Pacific Northwest I had to deal with the neo-nazi movement constantly and that was NEVER a good thing. What was done by the nazis was abhorrent and is only forgivable by God, and I am not Him.

Where does everyone else stand on this? Or does anyone even care about this? I imagine you do...

I appreciate the help with figuring it all out.

There is no accounting for taste. We all collect these old Nazi guns because we find them interesting for one reason or another.

Great find BTW! As the others have said, both the rifle and sling are very, very hard to come by in any condition.

You bought the rifle, or took it as a gift, and if you really feel that way, you should considering selling it to someone who can live with the fact some German draftee got stuck (lucky) guarding a airfield with your rifle.

BTW- your rifle probably never shot at an American soldier, it was probably in the hands of a dope in the Luftwaffe guarding some airstrip or PoW camp. Most rifles in collector’s hands probably didn't see much killing, as very small numbers, relatively, of German soldiers were even in the front lines. FM Milch ordered a study on this during the war to show the German Army did not need to take skilled workers for the Army as they were not using the men they had effectively.

I have never been a big forum user, well, here and there, so I don't know what protocol says about the same topic with the same person in two different websites, but I will answer here.

I completely understand not cleaning it with no experience. I am totally fine with that. I didn't know a k98 from a tree limb until a month ago when I was given this. I started doing the research and now my interest is peaked. Fundamentally though, I feel weird about this gun. My grandfather fought in France and Germany during WWII. He saw some very, very ugly things there. He never spoke of them until the last year of his life, and of his 60+ grandchildren/great grandchildren, he chose me to tell the stories to. My dad said he had never heard the stories until I relayed them to him. Holding a gun that was used against US soldiers (theoretically) creates mixed emotions. I understand collector’s items are collector’s items, but why the hullaballoo over Nazi equipment? I know it was a bring back as a "spoils of war" type souvenir, but the idea that I am researching and spending time reading about nazi guns leaves me feeling like I am somehow betraying the life of my grandfather..I don't know, and I understand this is a ramble, but it’s something that has stuck in my head since I was given this gun. I in no way associate or approve of the nazis. In fact, growing up in the Pacific Northwest I had to deal with the neo-nazi movement constantly and that was NEVER a good thing. What was done by the nazis was abhorrent and is only forgivable by God, and I am not Him.

Where does everyone else stand on this? Or does anyone even care about this? I imagine you do...

Last edited:

I certainly care, and have always tried to be sensitive to the viewpoints of others regarding this. I have enjoyed, or depending upon your viewpoint, been afflicted with, an interest in WWII history since childhood. In the 1950's feelings often ran high since most then remembered WWII from personal experience. Now, not so much! A recent survey of high school students asked the question: "In what war did the U.S. fight against Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany?". Something like only 38% answered the question correctly.
To me, collecting and studying the history and accompanying artifacts of WWII help to keep alive, the memories of the greatest and most titanic struggle of good vs. evil in the history of mankind.
If you are uncomfortable with this area of collecting, that is your right. Preserving our rights is one of the reasons why your grandfather and others went to war. If you do feel this way, sell the rifle to another serious collector - take the money and buy something you are comfortable with. JMHO! :thumbsup:

I certainly care, and have always tried to be sensitive to the viewpoints of others regarding this. I have enjoyed, or depending upon your viewpoint, been afflicted with, an interest in WWII history since childhood. In the 1950's feelings often ran high since most then remembered WWII from personal experience. Now, not so much! A recent survey of high school students asked the question: "In what war did the U.S. fight against Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany?". Something like only 38% answered the question correctly.
To me, collecting and studying the history and accompanying artifacts of WWII help to keep alive, the memories of the greatest and most titanic struggle of good vs. evil in the history of mankind.
If you are uncomfortable with this area of collecting, that is your right. Preserving our rights is one of the reasons why your grandfather and others went to war. If you do feel this way, sell the rifle to another serious collector - take the money and buy something you are comfortable with. JMHO! :thumbsup:

I appreciate your responses. After I posted last, I have spent a good deal of time thinking about this. I want you to know that I was never trying to insult or troll in anyway. I was just being honest. One thing I have learned in my life is that there is nothing new. Everything has been said or done or felt before. I was just curious as to if anyone had felt the same.

Simson, I appreciate all the help you have given me. Please know I was never trying to offend you. This was just a very new idea for me. I suppose I liken it to someone who practices catch and release fishing. It is a matter of preference. Pure and simple.

So, please accept my apology, I was not trying to offend anyone.

I hope you all have a wonderful fathers day.

I dont collect Nazi things, i collect things that people who killed Nazis brought home. Depends on the mindset.

I appreciate your responses. After I posted last, I have spent a good deal of time thinking about this. I want you to know that I was never trying to insult or troll in anyway. I was just being honest. One thing I have learned in my life is that there is nothing new. Everything has been said or done or felt before. I was just curious as to if anyone had felt the same.

Simson, I appreciate all the help you have given me. Please know I was never trying to offend you. This was just a very new idea for me. I suppose I liken it to someone who practices catch and release fishing. It is a matter of preference. Pure and simple.

Although your offered apology was not meant for me, I just want to say that I feel no apology on your part is necessary and I don't think any animosity towards you personally was intended.
BTW, I collect German military items; also practice catch and release fishing - AND - will hug a tree whenever the opportunity arises.

I wasn't especially offended, as I have not actively collected the 98k in over 10 years, though I still own a couple. I just do not see how the argument makes any sense (connecting the collection or buying of an item relates to advocacy of a cause or political belief).

Anyway, Denny took the right approach towards you and I edited my post some. I just do not think the reality of life, decisions to take part of certain aspects of society, mean you agree with every aspect of that society (or history for that matter).

I catch and release when I have to, and sometimes when I don't--but something about trout, butter and a frying pan over a campfire is just magical.

SO, let me ask you guys, if this was your rifle, what would you do with it?

Who gave it to you? Was it a friend or relative or just some one who wanted rid of it? Dont answer that to me answer it to yourself. If it was a relative and it came indirectley from the person who brought it back then that would be enough for me to hold on to it and maybe pass it on down. The question can really only be answered by you. If WW2 doesnt interest you and you have no connection to the rifle sell it to one of us. When I look at this stuff (rifles pistols helmets ect) it just ozzes history to me. You never know what kind of evil if any it was part of but it was a part of someones life for better or worse and part of a huge page of our history.

I catch and release when I have to, and sometimes when I don't--but something about trout, butter and a frying pan over a campfire is just magical.

SO, let me ask you guys, if this was your rifle, what would you do with it?

Military Rifle Journal
Back