Third Party Press

Volume II Update 3-25-1017

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
When Bruce and I started this last book (Volume 2), we decided that we would pack everything we could find into the book, and set no limit on how big this book could be. We assumed that it would be 650 pages or so after doing Volume 1, which seemed reasonable enough. Fast forward to where we are now - the book is over 840 pages, closer to 860-870 now, and could even grow a few pages beyond that. We've talked about paring it down, cut out some of the non-essential things like accessories, period images, etc., but both decided that wasn't an option.

We got a sample book from our printers that is 870 pages. They can physically make the book that big, no problem. But this thing is huge. It's heavy. It's unwieldy. These books are meant to be used by people, and some people will use them a lot. We've come to the conclusion that it's too big for 1 book. When you open it, the sheer thickness makes it almost unusable if you lay it flat. You have to press the center down hard to read the center section. Our fear is that this massive weight and bulk will wear out the spine quickly, "breaking it's back" so to speak. We want these books to last.

So with that, we've decided that we HAVE to break this project into 2 separate books. They will be only sold together as one (basically Vol.2 Part I, Vol.2 Part II). We've got to figure out the logistics of packaging them as a set for shipping. We both liked the idea of a single volume, but it's just not feasible.

An unfortunate side effect is that all of the costs will increase. We are negotiating with the printer for a price break which they are receptive to. I won't go into exact pricing now as we won't truly know until the books are completely printed but I'm thinking it will be around $140-150 for both Vol.2 books. It's like 2 Kriegsmodell books in size. Ridiculous.

The upside, since we are splitting it up, we now have a bit more room to add a few more things. We are still hopeful for a June 1 print date, and are working hard on the final edits, as are our peer review guys and errors/omissions/proofreading teams.

So thanks for all the support from this forum, and collectors in general.

Mike

Even if the price was $250 for the set I would have no issue with it. The amount of information is worth so much more than that.

It's a good idea to break this project into two separate books, you mentioned good reasons and luckily you don't cut out some of the non-essential things. The price of sale is higher, but I know Vol.2 Part I, Vol.2 Part II is worth every single cent! :happy0180:

Also looking forward to Vol 2

Thanks for all the hard work. I too have no issues with cost and breaking it into Part 1 and 2.
You guys will need a long deserved break after this one.

When this is done I'm going to burn my computer, keyboard, monitor, desk and chair to prevent another book. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When this is done I'm going to burn my computer, keyboard, monitor, desk and chair to prevent another book. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From you I would expect something with style and not a simple fire. Like intensive fire with 8x57. :laugh:

No Mike said he was doing volume 4 on Russian capture pieces next. I'm still waiting for the book on Nazi belt buckle guns to come out from Ryan as well.

Sounds voluminous! Glad the print date is approaching.

My 2 pfennigs worth, I prefer the nomenclature "Volume 2A" and "Volume 2B" over 2.I and 2.II but I'll be buying them both even if they're called "Volume 2: More Naughty Bits" and "Volume 2: No War Eagles for You!".

Karabiner Vol 2

I am looking forward to Vol 2. I am relatively new to collecting K98's (I have 2 full matching and 2 RC). And recently finished Vol 1 and I am very excited to keep learning!

Thanks for the hard work guys!

David C.

Volume II Current Status

Ok guys Mike and I are taking a few days off to recharge.

Here is where things stand.

1. You all know that Volume II will be broken down into 2 volumes due to size.
2. Current and near final page count to be from 892 to 896 total pages.
3. All text, material, images and media now at about 98-99% in place.
4. Next 4-6 weeks will be proofreading, corrections, layout adjustment, etc.

We are doing are best to stay on schedule (June 1) so we will see.
Will update in about 2-3 weeks as we see how the final edits are proceeding.

Regards,
Bruce

Hochts-Ausgezeichnet!! :)

Great news!! Like everyone here, I've long been looking forward to Vol. II! I think your decision to split the
book into 2 parts makes great sense from the standpoint of durability and ease/convenience of use! I'll gladly
pay more to have all the content without the inevitable destruction of the book that would follow if it were used much.

Thank you so much for all you have done to provide invaluable information to collectors and historians!
Having written a couple of <much smaller> books, I can attest to the tremendous amount of time,
effort and intense concentration it requires! You are nearing the end... the last edits are important.

FWIW, over the writing of many articles, I found that it helped me a lot to read the piece aloud as the LAST edit.
Having pored over the text so many times, it makes a big difference to read the book aloud. This instantly
reveals any awkward/repetitive wording or continuity errors that are easily overlooked when reading silently (for the
umpteenth time). Just a thought, for what it's worth.

You are both to be commended and heartily congratulated for undertaking and completing such a massive task, and
for doing such a superb job! You have certainly earned a place of lasting respect for your contributions!! :hail: :hail: :hail:

Sincerely,
John

Current status of VII

Thanks John, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Update on status:

1. All content is in and placed.
2. Page count now within 2-4 pages of final count depending on any emergency adds in the next month.
3. Volume IIA will end with Mauser Berlin and Volume IIB will begin with Erma.
4. Dust jackets complete.
5. We are going through the peer review/error checks/cosmetic clean up and this will continue in the coming weeks.

Short summary is we are getting close.
Will post another update at the end of this month.

Thanks for all of your support.
Mike and Bruce.

Military Rifle Journal
Back