Third Party Press

Sniper Ammo? I think not...

agentcq

I was at a gun show last week and bought some items from an oldler fellow.

He had this box of ammo which he said was "Special Sniper Ammo" because it was S.m.K. ammo and even had a page printed out of Senich's Sniper book to support his theory.

I was wary about the sniper story, but I did recognize that L'spur gelb (meant yellow tracer), which also turned me off the idea of it being sniper ammo (Why give away your position?). I decided to buy the ammo anyhow.

Once home I did some more research and did figure out that it was yellow tracer/armour piercing ammo. Not a bad buy at the end of the day, even if it wasn't "Special Sniper Ammo".

Is it true that only snipers and MG's used S.m.K. ammo?

Attachments

• SmKl'spur1.jpg
    SmKl'spur1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 35
  • SmkL'Spur2.JPG
    SmkL'Spur2.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SmKL'Spur3.JPG
    SmKL'Spur3.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 28
  • SmKL'Spur4.JPG
    SmKL'Spur4.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 26
As for the Ammo You Bought I really do not know . I do know the the German Snipers used a special ammo called B Patron but was forbidden except for use on Eastern Front and if not mistaken only after 1944 . Please correct me if I have given improper info . Best Regards

I remember reading that one of the more proficient German snipers liked to use the Smk -v- loading when he could find it. The bright ignition tracer (Smk L'spur) would not be a wise choice. The Smk -v- is the improved loading that can be identified by the green ring about 12 mm down from the point, and of course has the red primer seal. The boxes pictured are the three types of Smk that would have been available to rifleman. The -v- box mentioned in sniping interview is on the bottom. JH

Attachments

• Three types of Smk.jpg
    Three types of Smk.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 38

Military Rifle Journal
Back