Third Party Press

About the Fit between firing pin & cocking piece type 98s

Muncher 1953

I assume that the fit between FP & cocking piece should be snug & smooth, w/no play, but also no burrs or binds when assembling or rotating. I have learned that a rifle with some binding there will function correctly, only discovering the condition upon disassembly. If there are no visible issues w/ FP, might it be acceptable to use some fine lapping compound to work them together? We did this w/machine tool parts at the ball bearing factory where I worked for 30 years.
Rifle: 1951 FMAP/Argentina-made 1909 cav carbine. Burrs must be inside CP, as the FP doesn’t look bad. I’ve observed this w/other FP/CP pairs I have........or, “ do they all do that” ??

I assume that the fit between FP & cocking piece should be snug & smooth, w/no play, but also no burrs or binds when assembling or rotating. I have learned that a rifle with some binding there will function correctly, only discovering the condition upon disassembly. If there are no visible issues w/ FP, might it be acceptable to use some fine lapping compound to work them together? We did this w/machine tool parts at the ball bearing factory where I worked for 30 years.
Rifle: 1951 FMAP/Argentina-made 1909 cav carbine. Burrs must be inside CP, as the FP doesn’t look bad. I’ve observed this w/other FP/CP pairs I have........or, “ do they all do that” ??

I have encountered some combinations that fit together VERY tightly, others much more loosely, but not to the point of being sloppy. For a rifle that’s used and is not primarily a collector piece your idea of using lapping compound is a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muncher. . . .

If that carbine were mine, I’d leave it be . . . .

Be grateful you have a tight fitting FP/CP, ‘cause over time, it will loosen up due to use. (Especially so if you engage the safety on a regular basis.)

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back