Third Party Press

Mildly Sportered Hungarian 98/40...should I?

Homer2

I found a 98/40 at the show today for $300 marked down from $450. I had no cash, but will go back tomorrow. The good was the condition was excellent on everything after the lower band. The stock was cut in front of the lower band in typical sprorter fashion and there is no hand guard (I think). Barrel is fine, and it has a blade front sight. Don't remember if it needs a hood, but there isn't one. Going back on Sunday, I can try to low ball him on the price, but my question is, is it worth it? I'm not much into Mausers, but like to dabble. Mostly I like finding deals, and this seems like it may be one, but I need to know if it is or not.

If I do grab it, what are the odds of finding a new forend, front band, and hand guard for a decent price? My wife is half Hungarian, and I wouldn't mind having a nice one in my collection if it is practical.

Any advice is welcomed!

I know it is Hungarian for sure. 43m or 98/40, that I'm less sure. It's not a German contract rifle because it has no three letter code on it, just the date.

Hard to go wrong for $300. Are all the remaining parts matching? If the remaining parts are matching I would definitely snap it up. There is a fellow making replacement foreend repair pieces for the G98/40 (as well as replacement handguards), so would also work for this rifle. So I guess next question is whether the stock has been recontoured below the lower band or whether all the damage is between the bands.If you do buy it, PM me and I will give you the contact details. The 43M bayonet mount is a bit different than the G98/40 bayonet mount. It will likely be a bit more challenging to find but likely not impossible. I can't remember whether the bands are numbered on the 43M (they definitely are on all G98/40's).

Here is a link to a related post:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?55-43m

I have a G98/40 which has been repaired using a foreend replacement piece and handguard from the fellow I mentioned above. Some time in the next several weeks I should have that rifle back from a friend who fixed it for me and will try to post some pix here.

Last edited:
sorry..

Im gonna be the one to pee in the pool here.. That stock will be near impossible to find. Bubba really liked chewing these up. I cant every remember seeing a stock set for sale ever! 300 isnt alot but I see a resto near impossible...:facepalm:

Restoration depends on how the fore end is cut. $300 is a good price. The parts alone are worth more than that.

I ended up passing even though it could have been mine for less than $275. Bluing was about perfect, and the stock was not sanded and had a nearly straight cut in front of the band. Just rounded the corners. It was a 43m and the serial was matching 'B4' on all of the parts. Had the Hungarian crest on top, and one German waffenampt or eagle mark on the left side nearly on top of the serial number on the barrel shank. I have the guy's card, but I don't think it's worth it for me even at $250. I'd rather take on a nearly impossible Mosin project than a 43m.

I ended up passing even though it could have been mine for less than $275. Bluing was about perfect, and the stock was not sanded and had a nearly straight cut in front of the band. Just rounded the corners. It was a 43m and the serial was matching 'B4' on all of the parts. Had the Hungarian crest on top, and one German waffenampt or eagle mark on the left side nearly on top of the serial number on the barrel shank. I have the guy's card, but I don't think it's worth it for me even at $250. I'd rather take on a nearly impossible Mosin project than a 43m.

Sounds different than any I have seen (Hungarian Crest and German proofs). I'd go back and buy it if possible. You cant go wrong and may have something rare.

Late to the party.

It will also depend on whether or not it has the originalsights. If it doesn’t then restorationwill be extremely difficult. Based onthe description, as pointed out by History, with a Hungarian Crest and Germanproofs it could be a mixmaster.

In about 20 years of collecting I have only seen one fullyrescued sporter. I did it about 8 or 9 yeasago when I was able to buy a complete stock set before I even had therifle. Finding a sporterized, but notbutchered, jhv 42 was easy after that.

As Pisgah indicated, if the sights are intact and remaininglimber hasn’t been sanded a restorationwith a donor stock would be possible. I,for one, am looking forward to pics of Pisgah’s rifle when it comes back!

Attachments

• 98_40_bubbastock_01.jpg
    98_40_bubbastock_01.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 98_40_restored_RS_01.jpg
    98_40_restored_RS_01.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg