Third Party Press

MP.40 pouches, blue grey

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Referred to as "Luftwaffe" issue. While some were, as these are more blue than grey, it is generally understood that these are "ordinance grey" (just as the German equipment paint) and general issue.

Attachments

• Mp.40 Lw set front 2 - Copy.JPG
    Mp.40 Lw set front 2 - Copy.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Mp.40 Lw set back - Copy.JPG
    Mp.40 Lw set back - Copy.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Mp.40 Lw set bottom - Copy.JPG
    Mp.40 Lw set bottom - Copy.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 47
Interesting thought,these are for me Luft isseu. Not general isseu,just the color decides?

Regards
Willem

That blue-grey was an ordinance color, like the green and tan. The color use tracks german regs as the ordinance grey was the base coat for German vehicles and equipment as well. Tan came along in mid-late 1943 so we have tan pouches. Of course, there likely are blue-grey Luftwaffe contract MP.40 pouches as well.

Sarge, you think the grey-blue are straight Luftwaffe contract? Honestly, my point of reference is the aforementioned regulations and nothing else. Some of these pouches are a slate dark grey, some more blue. The opinions advanced from people who know more than me indicate general / ordinance color. But mine is nothing more than an opinion based upon other opinions.

For me the grey-bleu pouches are Luft,the grey-green/beige ones are Heer.(both in collection,the green one dated 1942)

Regards
Willem

I would like that to be the case. I reckon one can equate it to breadbags, breadbag straps, etc.; Lw had their own color of those, along with other items in Luft. blue. Of course, when Lw. ground units were infused into Heer units and supply in late 1943 and 1944 I reckon there would have been no need for distinct gear.

For some reason I cannot reply to anything on the board. What I got up wasby hitting the review button and then tying in those few words before itshut me off. No problem I thought, I'll just edit it and finish my comments- HA!!! What I was going to say is that I have never seen anything that indicatesthere is any correlation between the base color of vehicles and canvas/webgear - at any time durring the war. IF that were the case then all of the rucksaks, bread bags/straps, canteencovers, gas mask cans and spare filter bags that are in "Lw" blue would begeneral issue and there is Nothing to indicate that is the case. Such thought would also raise another question - How do you account for thegreen (I had a matched pr) and brown MP 40 pouches since none of the vehiclebase colors were either of these? Sarge

Military Rifle Journal
Back