Third Party Press

Armours Parts

vaughn99

Hello All,

we see allot of K98 stuff all the time but were the WWI Gew98 parts marked in a special manor or a specific maker?? does any one have any parts to show from the WWI era that are armours replacement parts unserialed?? just wondering as i have been keeping my eyes out for such things and would like more info of what to look for and be more educated. I remember reading some wheres that for the begining of WWII some one mentioned that they made a bunch of replacement Gew98 29" barrels but did they do other stuff?? hopefully some pics can be posted!!! i think i have found a few items but not sure.

later
vaughn

Last edited:
Imperial armorer parts

I don't quite understand the 1st question. Regarding the second question, I have numerous Gew98 (or K98a) armorer parts...safeties, firing pins, bolt bodies, cleaning rods, followers and stocks. The armorer followers are seen the most. The GreatBillDildoe used to have a bunch of complete armorer bolt assemblies, but I believe he's traded them all out over the years.

Hey Vaughn,

I'll post some pics up when I get home. I think I have two complete bolts and a follower.

I had a GEW98 armorers floorplate that was used as an armorers part early in the ww2 era.
Meaning that it was blued an put in a kit early on.
I have encountered that a few times. It seems to me to be mostly screws, firing Pins, bands, and floor plates.

Bolts as promised.

Vaughn,

Here is my favorite. Its got condition issues, but its never been polished.

Attachments

• DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0029.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0041.jpg
    DSCF0041.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 36
Here are a couple more pics.

Attachments

• DSCF0042.jpg
    DSCF0042.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 27
a different bolt

Here is a different bolt. I diddnt take it apart. If there is any interest in more pics of it, I'll be glad to shoot more.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 24
okay, so later bolts. Feel free to move or delete

okay, so later bolts. Feel free to move or delete. Its for fun.

ooops forgot the pics

Attachments

• DSCF0046.jpg
    DSCF0046.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0047.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 34
Hello Don.

thanks for posting. I wasn't sure if they had markings like WWII armors parts for instance S42 or S/42 marked etc. I know it wouldn't say S42 but was looking for a WWI equivalent that was used. I have a bolt body just like the first one you posted has crown B no other markings. I'll take some pics and let you more in the know confirm. so far I have found a follower Crown over X and also a triggerguard Crown over X, a front band with hook E/6, and rear sight barrel base E/6. do these bring the prices the WWII stuff do?? I rarely see them and when I do they are not really advertised as armors parts like the k98 stuff. here are the pics of the bolt as I just got, the rest I'll have to dig for if ppl are interested as its been a while since I have found a unserialed gew98 part.

thanks
Vaughn

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 9
  • picture 002a.jpg
    picture 002a.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 12
  • picture 009a.jpg
    picture 009a.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 15
  • picture 010a.jpg
    picture 010a.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11
  • picture 013a.jpg
    picture 013a.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 13
  • picture 017a.jpg
    picture 017a.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Don W, Bolts as promised

Vaughn,

Here is my favorite. Its got condition issues, but its never been polished.

Don W, Do you know know the armory from which proof on the bolt in your image # 6 come from?? I have that mark I am trying to identify. Thank You, Jim Noeller

Vaughn,

Sweet Bolt.
I have a follower around here somewhere.

BTW- Looks like your bolt is in much better shape then mine. I think these do bring in lower prices than the K98k stuff. Not by much though. Armorers followers are about 35 and I dont think it matters much as to which proof it is, the prices seem to be the same accross the board , per part. That's been my experience anyway.

Don W, Do you know know the armory from which proof on the bolt in your image # 6 come from?? I have that mark I am trying to identify. Thank You, Jim Noeller

Hi Jim,

No Sir I sure dont. Sorry.
I think you would need to speak with Paul , Bruce, or Bill about that. I think Bill is on the 'Gunboards' forum.

This would normally be an easier proposition with RR acceptance, but as parts were often sub-contracted during the war (bottleneck parts) it is not so cut and dry with bolt bodies, trigger guards.

This inspector is most often found on Mauser production during 1915, a picture attached from a previous post. Jebber, a pretty good guy and I don't think he will mind.

Problem is bottleneck parts were made in large numbers by all the arsenals, Danzig slated to supply bolts, and while they used (on the RR) a similar acceptance stamp (inspector) it isn't as good a match as Mauser's.

Storz goes into this in some detail, subcontracting key parts by the arsenals, but the shortcomings of the database (which depends on what people image), the fact so many rifles have m/m bolts, and sub-contracting for components, we can only guess.

Attachments

• x030.jpg
    x030.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 20
Hello,

Well was digging around for those parts i mentioned found the trigger guard not in the best of condition and covered in cosmo. took a quick pic.

later
vaughn

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 27
This would normally be an easier proposition with RR acceptance, but as parts were often sub-contracted during the war (bottleneck parts) it is not so cut and dry with bolt bodies, trigger guards.

This inspector is most often found on Mauser production during 1915, a picture attached from a previous post. Jebber, a pretty good guy and I don't think he will mind.

Problem is bottleneck parts were made in large numbers by all the arsenals, Danzig slated to supply bolts, and while they used (on the RR) a similar acceptance stamp (inspector) it isn't as good a match as Mauser's.

Storz goes into this in some detail, subcontracting key parts by the arsenals, but the shortcomings of the database (which depends on what people image), the fact so many rifles have m/m bolts, and sub-contracting for components, we can only guess.

Thank you Paul for coming to the rescue.

I have a few armorers parts from WW1- trigger guard like yours has just 1 cypher, floorplate with 1 cypher and no number. I have the Weimar era straight armorers bolt too, marked Su52. Pics attached of the Su bolt.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 32
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24
  • root.jpg
    root.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello,

Well was digging around for those parts i mentioned found the trigger guard not in the best of condition and covered in cosmo. took a quick pic.

later
vaughn

Vaughn,

Nice find. TG's seem to be my sticking point. I have only one Armourers TG in my collection.

I need to get some reference and historical material on these Markings. I will look around at SoS for books.

Any suggestions's guys on which books?

I have a few armorers parts from WW1- trigger guard like yours has just 1 cypher, floorplate with 1 cypher and no number. I have the Weimar era straight armorers bolt too, marked Su52. Pics attached of the Su bolt.

Now thats got to be a rare bird. Mike, can you bring that to SoS? (Dont show it to Dave)

Best is Handbuch Deutscher Waffenstempel, by Albrecht Wacker & Joachim Görtz, German language of course. Only English language issue, that I can think of that dealing with acceptance is in an old Gun Collectors Digest 5th edition, -Proofs & Inspection Marks, Gun Collectors Digest 5th Ed Görtz & John Walter.

It is quite dated though, an early work, and you really need to use it as a foundation. Look towards P08 collector books, they are the leaders in the field of acceptance and its purpose, and many books and magazines can be helpful. Old Gun Reports often have articles of interest (not all but more than most magazines) by Charles Kenyon. He touches on acceptance fairly often in his articles and some are good.

There are other small pieces, Görtz teamed up with Walters on a couple good books and articles, and they can shed some light but best thing is to do it yourself- with help - on this forum.

The team work on this forum, collectively, is the best source for information, as I have been hitting everyone I know of for my trends work, and eventually I hope that, with Mike and Bruce, we can all catch up Modell98 research to the level of the P08 crowd.

I need to get some reference and historical material on these Markings. I will look around at SoS for books.

Any suggestions's guys on which books?

Hello mike,

sweet bolt that is a rare one i would guess due to the short time used/issuing peroid. the TG i got was from a seller i think 3-4 years ago off ebay?? I think. He sold a total of 4 of them at 25.00 each that was allot for me to come up with, on something i didn't know about. lastly i asked back then about such items and the replys said that Gew98 unserialed parts or armor's parts were not worth much more than asking price. IF a gew98 book comes out i think that will change!!!

later
vaughn

Military Rifle Journal
Back