Third Party Press

The start of Book 2A, Chapter 1, Pages 17 to 67: Wartime Infrastructure and the 98k

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
Excited to start Volume 2 this week! Volume 2 is going to take us some time to get through. Hopefully we can get IIa done by about the first week of April. I am looking forward to the start of "Mauser March". We have 3 weeks of Mauser Oberndorf reading taking place in March. Volume 1 laid the history and foundation of the manufacturers, I am excited to get into the meat of wartime production now!

Lets get the discussion started. If there is anything else you would like to see me do to make this more interactive, please let me know. I am open to suggestions!

Any guesses why they went back to letter date codes in 45? svwMB swj XE.... Interesting to bring that back from early 1930s.

p37, Radom. Workers putting together "Mismatched '39 Polish eagles" and giving them to the Germany army sounds a little off to me. Interesting theory, but I would like to see some more evidence on that.

Any guesses why they went back to letter date codes in 45? svwMB swj XE.... Interesting to bring that back from early 1930s.

p37, Radom. Workers putting together "Mismatched '39 Polish eagles" and giving them to the Germany army sounds a little off to me. Interesting theory, but I would like to see some more evidence on that.

They actually started this earlier. Starting in 1943, MG42s have a manufacturer specific date code setup. I would assume it was an attempt to obscure production totals/capability, but they never did this on MG34s so far as I know, so who knows.

As for Radoms, I'm more inclined to think the German soldiers assembled these themselves in the factory as souvenirs, but perhaps the Polish author of that article has some Radom factory documentation. Any mention of these pistols in the Radom book published a while back?

They actually started this earlier. Starting in 1943, MG42s have a manufacturer specific date code setup. I would assume it was an attempt to obscure production totals/capability, but they never did this on MG34s so far as I know, so who knows.

As for Radoms, I'm more inclined to think the German soldiers assembled these themselves in the factory as souvenirs, but perhaps the Polish author of that article has some Radom factory documentation. Any mention of these pistols in the Radom book published a while back?

Are you referring to the York book? I was actually looking up something earlier and conveniently have it out. I thought I would be able to give a quick response but I'm going to have to do some more reading. He doesn't mention that group of pistols in his description of the take over but he does photograph some lacking proofs etc from right around the time of occupation.

So reading a bit more, York seems to think that the mismatches were put together during the German invasion. p138 to 142.

Of note, the 0 prefix serial number photographed in the book appears to be later finish and a later slide. It also has an Eagle N proof (I am not really buying this from the photos). So who knows what these are.

There was definitely some transitional confusion going on, but a whole block of mismatched pistols being given to the Germans, I still do not buy it. Especially because they appear to not be proofed.

Efficiency

Table 5 on page 47 has Mauser kicking everybody's a$$ in terms of minutes of labor per rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back