Third Party Press

Gewehr 98 with Naval Stamps

pdmayton

So, I believe I have caught the official Mauser bug and I'm figuring out what I want next and I've narrowed it down to either a good example late war Nazi Stamped 98k or a Gewehr 98 with the Naval Stamp but I have no idea how realistic it is to find the latter or how much they go for in [whatever] condition. I've only seen pictures, but being a sailor myself, I am drawn to the naval stamped Gew. Can someone speak on the rarity of these rifles and what I can expect to pay for it?

Gew98 with naval markings

Daniel, the decent naval G98's are hard to come by, as are the Suhl makers. If all matching and undinked-with (not cleaned or sanded) wood, it would run $2k+, add more to that if Seebatallion (Marines). Depending on the amount of mismatched parts/wood condition probably $500 to $1500. I know that's a big range but with no more info that's about the best I can do for you.

By the way, I like your 1912 Erfurt 98a that you got from your Grandfather... hold onto it.

PM sent

Cheers

Daniel, the decent naval G98's are hard to come by, as are the Suhl makers. If all matching and undinked-with (not cleaned or sanded) wood, it would run $2k+, add more to that if Seebatallion (Marines). Depending on the amount of mismatched parts/wood condition probably $500 to $1500. I know that's a big range but with no more info that's about the best I can do for you.

By the way, I like your 1912 Erfurt 98a that you got from your Grandfather... hold onto it.

PM sent
is
Cheers

Since I don't have enough 'folding-money' to be a 'serious collector' I'm much more inclined to get the mismatched, 'good' conditioned gew based on your estimates. And I don't expect to have the cash to do that in the very near future but I can set a goal and start putting away a few dollars here and there. The 1912 I have certainly isn't the best condition (mismatched, stocks been broken and repaired, the stock was sanded at some point) but I treasure it, and it's something I will pass on to my son one day, permitting good fortune. Thanks for the info.

Military Rifle Journal
Back