Third Party Press

CE 42 SSR Sniper (Pic Heavy)

agentcq

I have been waiting awhile for this one and I am happy that my importer did not lose this rifle; unlike my 'ar' zf41.

This is an interesting CE (Sauer) which shows a direct link with BCD (Gustloff Werke) and sniper development.

Sadly the rifle is a m/m. The bolt matches to itself, the front and rear bands are m/m, the top hand guard does not match, the floor plate and magazine assembly match themselves.

Luckily, the receiver, barrel, stock, trigger, rear sight and SSR base mount are matching.

Sauer 1942 production. Reich Eagle overlapping waa37 (Sauer) proof on the top of the receiver. Left receiver marked Reich Eagle 6501 r with left barrel marked Reich Eagle, right receiver marked waa359 (Gustloff Werke), rear sight right side is marked 2 x waa359 (Gustloff Werke), underside of barrel is marked CE D 2x waa37 *
Stock marked Na ?? 29 42 and the pics did not show up but stock is also marked 6501. Stock is inletted and not cut away for the SSR base. Right butt stock is marked small reich eagle H.

The rifle is also import marked (not mentioned when purchased) and I believe came from the middle east. There are traces of red paint, a strange star like pattern, the left butt has been worn and sadly someone tried securing the sling with small nails at some point.

Now I have a few questions:
Who imported this rifle?
Is this an SSR I, II, III?
What type of upper mount/scope should I be looking for?

Thank you

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 171
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 96
Brian Thanks for the Compliment , But I would say first most Collectors know about what You already stated first & foremost when it comes to SSR`s . With that be said from what I can seen from these Pics Agentcq has himself an Original SSR . I would like to ask is there any Serial Number on Base . Best Regards

Ssr

THE rifle was imported into the u.s. by c.i.a. probably in the 80's as some orig snipers did come in at that point.. See balls military mausers of the world.. Most snipers in there are from century. It has the one key thing to look for as Dave said to tell if it's an orig Sauer ssr. One thing I didnt like was the color change between the base and the receiver. I would think the reciever would show the same wear? So maybe the base was lost and replaced. ?

Thank you for the input. I cannot see a serial number stamped on the sight base. I know Robert Speilauer thought the rifle was good from the sellers picks and from the wear and patina I am not that worried about about it being an original SSR. That inletting of the wood is pretty hard to do, let alone to fake with the age and patina on the wood in that location.

Now I just need to restore it (upper mount and scope).

If there are any generous individuals out there, that would be wonderful!

I will keep my Eyes open for a Scope & Mount for You , I do have a Couple but these are just as hard to find as the Rifle actually the Mount for Your Rifle will be Very hard to find I only have seen maybe a total of 4 in my 15yrs of collecting . From what You say of the Base not Being Numbered is Correct , I wanted to get Your Answer before I revealed something . I have found that of the Three of this Makers SSR`s , all three I know of and one being the 20K SSR at RIA in Dec none of these 3 had a Serial Number on the Base Either .But I would also say that does not mean all Sauer Produced SSR would be devoid of Serial Numbered Bases .

I would not say without having it in my hands whether or not the Base is Original or Not to this Rifle . I think You have a Great SSR , One other thing I find interesting is it is a CE 42 Rifle but with Type 3 Base not impossible or even suspect because I know factually that Early SSR Mounts were Upgraded to and or reworked from Type 1 Mount to Type 2 with Locking Screw . This can be checked remove locking Screw and Center Piece from Middle of Mount and You may see Maker Name under it . Best Regards

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back