Third Party Press

German Modified(?) M95/30

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
All matching (non-import) and a very uncommon example of an M95/30 that escaped being shipped off to Bulgaria in 1938. The new manufacture barrel is marked S indicating it is chambered for the new 8x56RS "S-Patrone" and HV 38 indicating acceptance by the Austrian Heeresverwaltung in 1938. The barrel is also marked with a Circle T on the right side. This is often said to mean "tegelstahl" which does not appear to be a German word, so I think it might be "tiegelstahl" (crucible steel) instead. It also shows no sign of ever having the brass front sight protector installed. Bands are in Carbinestutzen arrangement with swivels on bottom and the wrist and a fixed bar on the side of the rear band.

The matching stock also appears to be new, and amazingly still has the rarely seen Austrian eagles on the keel and handguard. Buttplate has the unit mark PB8 for Pionier-Battalion 8 (of 8. Brigade in Salzburg) which would become the independent Gebirgs-Pionier-Battalion 85 on 1 July 1938.

What is really interesting about this example is the unusual blued bolt with EP'd serial number. As far as I know, the Austrians didn't originally blue or number them, so I am guessing this was done later by a German depot? Or maybe very late production after the Anschluss?

I also attached images of the M95/30 in German use. The two Heer soldiers in the first photo are wearing converted Austrian tunics (note the pockets). The men in the second photo are apparently RAD men.

Attachments

• tn_DSC_0250.JPG
    tn_DSC_0250.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_DSC_0254.JPG
    tn_DSC_0254.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 49
  • tn_Receiver Top.jpg
    tn_Receiver Top.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_Barrel Top.jpg
    tn_Barrel Top.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_Receiver Serial.jpg
    tn_Receiver Serial.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 47
  • tn_Handguard Serail.jpg
    tn_Handguard Serail.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 35
  • tn_Handguard Eagle.jpg
    tn_Handguard Eagle.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 33
  • tn_Bolt Serial.jpg
    tn_Bolt Serial.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 45
  • tn_Stock Serial.jpg
    tn_Stock Serial.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 41
  • tn_Buttplate Unit.jpg
    tn_Buttplate Unit.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 47
  • tn_Stock Eagle.jpg
    tn_Stock Eagle.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_Stock K.jpg
    tn_Stock K.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_Bands.jpg
    tn_Bands.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 38
  • tn_Magazine K.jpg
    tn_Magazine K.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 36
  • M95-30.jpg
    M95-30.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2003-0047,_RAD-Männer_bei_Schießübung_im_Schnee.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2003-0047,_RAD-Männer_bei_Schießübung_im_Schnee.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 65
Supe nice rifle. Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us! That one is beautiful.
Pat

Nice rifle

I know nothing about these so it is a great post to learn about them. I think your guess is right about
German usage.

Wow, what a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing! The one picture opens up another interesting question - do M95 bayonets ever show signs of German issue?

INCREDIBLE example - and great photos. Surely to be in B&M's Beutewaffen book? :)

Military Rifle Journal
Back